Golden Princess 12/17. A true fair and balanced review (unlike fox news!)

RPhCruiser

This will be a 2 part review. Part 1 will be about the ship in general. Part 2 will be about the port of calls, and the dinner each night!

First a little pre-cruise history: this was our "surprise" vacation for our daughter, who turned 16. She brought a friend to share her experience. This was her second cruise, my wife's 4th cruise, and my 8th. This cruise was also a re-connection time for DW and myself. You see, we also have boy/girl twins that are 3, and another daughter who is 2. DW is a stay at home mom, and I work in a pharmacy 10 hours a day, so we were feeling a little "disconnected"; got my mom and in-laws to split duty baby-sitting, so off we went to chicago to start our much needed vacation:

Part 1

Flew out of midway (18 degree temps, foot of snow...flight delayed 45minutes to de-ice the plane:eek:eek: to San Juan the day before the cruise. Stayed at Radisson Condado, which was great at $85. Got up early Saturday, enjoyed the beach, and off to the pier. Pier was extremely crowded at 11:30. Stood in line to drop off luggage, stood in line to enter pier, stood in line to register, and stood in line to board ship (now this wasn't bad, as there was free rum shots in front of the duty free liquor store)

By 12:45pm, we were on the ship. Met by friendly crew members directing us to our Cabin (d121). Room steward was waiting, introduced himself. We requested eggcrates for everyone, feather pillows, and champagne, and got all eventually

Embarkation: B (word of caution: I'm not sure because this was christmas break, but Princess recommends to embark after 2pm. well, even after 3pm it was extremely crowded...I'd guess 5x as crowded as 11:30am)

Overall Ship appearence was great....clean, very eloquent. Crew constanltly cleaning, tarnishing...etc

Crewmembers....we never had a problem with any crewmember. Even with DW's cokecard, she was always greeted with a smile when it was presented, and never lacked for service.

Golden Princess ship: B+

Food was excellent. Anytime dining was wonderful, never had to wait, always had pleasent waiter and assistant waiter. Both were very accomadating each night. Lunch was great at either the grill or pizzeria, or the Horizon court. A quick word here about the Horizon Court. I enjoyed the food there. Just gotta learn the ends and outs of it. Calamari was excellent, as well as vegetable burrito, as well as the late night set up. I'm not sure about all the negative reviews of this place, but I'd prefer it anyday for lunch

Dining and food: A

Our Cabin was a mini-suite, which I absolutely loved. Plenty of room, if it was just 2 people. Unfortunately we had 2 teenage girls in our cabin. Big Mistake!!! Next cruise, they will get an inside cabin near us so DW and myself can enjoy the abdudance of room of our mini-suite, as well as the balcony;)

Cabin: B+

Entertainment was my biggest disappointment, but in all fairness we only saw a couple shows (the opening act, Dan Horn...I'm so sorry, was pathetic). We were not impressed with their Broadway production, but did enjoy the "retro"-band at the Explorers Lounge, as well as the Caribbean band playing by the poolside

Entertainment: C-

Disembarkation went smooth, eventhough someone picked up one piece of our luggage, and as of today, it has not been returned. We sat by the pool waiting for our colored tags to be called. At 11:30 we were off the ship, searching for our luggage. After filling out a lost luggage form, we were at San Juan Airport by 12:30

Disembarkation: A

Port of Calls and dinner reviews will be posted later

DW & I often travel alone. This spring we plan on taking one or two 20-somethings with us. We were planning on a single mini-suite vs. a combination of two other type cabins (cost containment). Can you tell me what type problem you encountered with four people in the mini?

Thanks for the info. My DH and I will be cruising the golden in April. I noticed your mark for entertainment was low. Was there choices for music at night, such as bands or piano bar. Or was the talent of the acts not good. I was just wondering. This is one of our favorite things about a cruise. The choice to walk from place to place and catch a bit of this and a bit of that. Can't wait to hear about your island reviews!

DW & I often travel alone. This spring we plan on taking one or two 20-somethings with us. We were planning on a single mini-suite vs. a combination of two other type cabins (cost containment). Can you tell me what type problem you encountered with four people in the mini?

It just felt overly crowded with 4 people. DW and I in the main bed, DD in sofa bed, DD's friend in top bunk. Very hard to move around at night with beds all made up (especially to get to the balcony). Plus teenage girls pack a ton, and not enough storage area. IMHO, it's better to have 2 or 3 in a mini suite, and enjoy the living area as extra room, instead of another bedroom(s). If we were to do it again, and the girls had to stay in our room, we would upgrad to a suite if the price was right!

Thanks for the info. My DH and I will be cruising the golden in April. I noticed your mark for entertainment was low. Was there choices for music at night, such as bands or piano bar. Or was the talent of the acts not good. I was just wondering. This is one of our favorite things about a cruise. The choice to walk from place to place and catch a bit of this and a bit of that. Can't wait to hear about your island reviews!

We just felt the quality of the big show entertainment was poor. Unfortunately, we didn't make the late night comedian shows, which I heard were good, as well as the magician. the mind binder/yo-yo entertainer was ok, but just not what I am used to with carnival or RCI. Again, we really didn't see alot of shows, so we can't rate too accurately. Others we talked to felt the entertainment was "forced", and really, Omar the cruise director, IMHO, was not the good, but others enjoyed him...so ya just don't know

Part II Ports and dinner

SAN JUAN B+:

Toured the fort from 1pm to 4pm. Really enjoyed exploring this 400 year old landmark. Went back to the ship as the girls went shopping, and bought 1 litre of absolut for $7.95 and 1 litre of Disaroni for $16.00. Added some tonic water, 2 bottles of wine, and 2 big litres of water...very cheap

Had dinner at 7pm, no wait. Really enjoyed the Lobster bisque appitizer and the Nebreska Prime Rib was cooked to perfection. My personal favorite dinner of all 7

ST.THOMAS A-:

The girls again went shopping, as I layed out by the pool, soaking in the rays and listening to Jimmy Buffet (One Particular Harbour). Afternoon took a taxi to Coki Beach. Absolutely beautiful, a bit crowded, but the water was the perfect turquoise blue everyone imagines when they think of the caribbean. Excellent snorkeling, great reggae music, nice beach.

Had dinner reserved for 8:00pm. Italian night (not my favorite), but the fettucini was good, as was the shrimp dinner

ST.KITTS A+:

DD's 16th birthday. Went on the Nevis Sail away and had an excellent time. Snorkeling was average, but then off to Nevis at Pinneys beach for a BBQ Lunch (great), and more sun. The beer and rum punch was flowing. Sailing back they celebrated DD's B-day with a toast, a cheer, and some dancing. Fun was had by all. (too much fun for dad, who had to take a nap due to over-indulgence, while the girls shopped...notice a pattern with the girls?)

Formal night, showed up at 8:30...no wait. Had the Beef Tournedos...again excellent. Small b-day cake for DD, sang happy birthday, got our pics taken, and I went to bed early as I had a hangover:eek:

GRENADA D :mad::

Hated it! Got a taxi for 80 bucks, took us to pathetic waterfall, local villages, and a fort...that was it. He does get kudos for when I left our digital camera at a shop, he turned around and hauled @&& back to the shop. Found the camera in a matter of seconds. The island itself is beautiful, but the people are not too friendly (due to recent hurricanes I assume), and I just felt like I got ripped with the taxi tour....next time, we'll visit Grand Anse Beach

Dinner was caribbean nite, with pork in rum sauce very good.

We had the champagne balcony breakfast this morning and loved it. Crab quiche was excellent, as well as the smoked salmon and the crabmeat!

ISLA MARGARITA C+:

Pathetic beach. Shopping was wonderful, as well as the locals. got some great pearls. but I was so upset with the beach and water (small beach, very shallow water), that I spent the rest of the day on the boat, sunning and reading while the girls went shopping:rolleyes:

Dinner was prawns, which were excellent (oh, and the chilled green apple soup....the best!!!)

ARUBA A-:

Do not take the fiesta party boat to Palm Beach...what a rip-off. They take you there by boat, then you have to take a bus back...for $39. It would have been cheaper to take a taxi. But, we feel in love with the beach. The teenage girls parasailed, then we all enjoyed the sun (me...too much, got sun poisining....but hey, I'm on vacation, and probably won't see the sun again until april). Afterwards, we all went shopping. I bought my wife a ten year anniversary band at a reasonable price, and I got a gold plated ankle bracelet, along with a Carlos and Charlies shirt

Formal night dinner was lobster (excellent) and Beef Wellington (above average)

AT SEA B+:

got up at 7:30 am to enjoy my last full day of sun (poisining and all). Sat at the very back of the ship all day, enjoyed a bucket of beer (5 for the price of 4) and took a well deserved nap in the sun. Much need relaxation after a week of port intensive stops

Dinner was Prime Rib...again excellent (and our waiter gave us a sample of the eggplant parmisian with scallops.....very, very good!)

OVERALL A-:

this was an excellent cruise. We enjoyed the lotus spa pool (89 degrees) as weel as the hot tubs at the end of the ship. We loved the champagne on our balcony. But most of all we loved the romance of sitting out on our balcony, watching the wonderful stars and planets as the ocean swept by.

How does this compare to my other cruises you might ask? I deliberatley did not compare, because I wanted to give the first time Princess cruiser a taste of what to expect, instead of RCI does this, or Carnival doesnt do that. but since this is my last paragraph:), I would rate this alongside my first Carnival cruise, and my first RCI cruise. Truly a wonderful vacation

give your DD a belated happy birthday from us. That was some party they toss her way. she was lite up like a X-mas tree. hope that she will recall it over the years to come. Sorry to have miss you at the wheelhouse bar. I did what Sacway did waited in the wrong bar. was able to meet her later, along with some others from our CC group

agree with your review mainly the part about Grenada.

paul

rphcruiser, thanks for your review, sounds like a hard-earned and well-enjoyed one.

rosellen62, thanks also for yours.

What with all the words I've already spilled, and if cruisingME08 writes in something, and photogrfgal, too, this provides an interesting round robin of what the same week on the same ship offered.

DH & I were talking this AM about the range of choices every port -- stay on the ship, hang out in port area, walk into town (when port is close enough), take a pre-organized tour (ship or independently arranged), take an on-the-spot taxi tour. Each choice results in a different experience.

Beyond this are things that are the same but affect individuals differently; you can only eat so much food (and might not be happy with your first choice) and can only hang out in one place at a time. That's why for me there is no "definitive" cruise review, but a cluster like this provides ideas of what is possible.

Really appreciate your efforts to contribute this.

Part II Ports and dinner

SAN JUAN B+:

Toured the fort from 1pm to 4pm. Really enjoyed exploring this 400 year old landmark. Went back to the ship as the girls went shopping, and bought 1 litre of absolut for $7.95 and 1 litre of Disaroni for $16.00. Added some tonic water, 2 bottles of wine, and 2 big litres of water...very cheap

Had dinner at 7pm, no wait. Really enjoyed the Lobster bisque appitizer and the Nebreska Prime Rib was cooked to perfection. My personal favorite dinner of all 7

ST.THOMAS A-:

The girls again went shopping, as I layed out by the pool, soaking in the rays and listening to Jimmy Buffet (One Particular Harbour). Afternoon took a taxi to Coki Beach. Absolutely beautiful, a bit crowded, but the water was the perfect turquoise blue everyone imagines when they think of the caribbean. Excellent snorkeling, great reggae music, nice beach.

Had dinner reserved for 8:00pm. Italian night (not my favorite), but the fettucini was good, as was the shrimp dinner

ST.KITTS A+:

DD's 16th birthday. Went on the Nevis Sail away and had an excellent time. Snorkeling was average, but then off to Nevis at Pinneys beach for a BBQ Lunch (great), and more sun. The beer and rum punch was flowing. Sailing back they celebrated DD's B-day with a toast, a cheer, and some dancing. Fun was had by all. (too much fun for dad, who had to take a nap due to over-indulgence, while the girls shopped...notice a pattern with the girls?)

Formal night, showed up at 8:30...no wait. Had the Beef Tournedos...again excellent. Small b-day cake for DD, sang happy birthday, got our pics taken, and I went to bed early as I had a hangover:eek:

GRENADA D :mad::

Hated it! Got a taxi for 80 bucks, took us to pathetic waterfall, local villages, and a fort...that was it. He does get kudos for when I left our digital camera at a shop, he turned around and hauled @&& back to the shop. Found the camera in a matter of seconds. The island itself is beautiful, but the people are not too friendly (due to recent hurricanes I assume), and I just felt like I got ripped with the taxi tour....next time, we'll visit Grand Anse Beach

Dinner was caribbean nite, with pork in rum sauce very good.

We had the champagne balcony breakfast this morning and loved it. Crab quiche was excellent, as well as the smoked salmon and the crabmeat!

ISLA MARGARITA C+:

Pathetic beach. Shopping was wonderful, as well as the locals. got some great pearls. but I was so upset with the beach and water (small beach, very shallow water), that I spent the rest of the day on the boat, sunning and reading while the girls went shopping:rolleyes:

Dinner was prawns, which were excellent (oh, and the chilled green apple soup....the best!!!)

ARUBA A-:

Do not take the fiesta party boat to Palm Beach...what a rip-off. They take you there by boat, then you have to take a bus back...for $39. It would have been cheaper to take a taxi. But, we feel in love with the beach. The teenage girls parasailed, then we all enjoyed the sun (me...too much, got sun poisining....but hey, I'm on vacation, and probably won't see the sun again until april). Afterwards, we all went shopping. I bought my wife a ten year anniversary band at a reasonable price, and I got a gold plated ankle bracelet, along with a Carlos and Charlies shirt

Formal night dinner was lobster (excellent) and Beef Wellington (above average)

AT SEA B+:

got up at 7:30 am to enjoy my last full day of sun (poisining and all). Sat at the very back of the ship all day, enjoyed a bucket of beer (5 for the price of 4) and took a well deserved nap in the sun. Much need relaxation after a week of port intensive stops

Dinner was Prime Rib...again excellent (and our waiter gave us a sample of the eggplant parmisian with scallops.....very, very good!)

OVERALL A-:

this was an excellent cruise. We enjoyed the lotus spa pool (89 degrees) as weel as the hot tubs at the end of the ship. We loved the champagne on our balcony. But most of all we loved the romance of sitting out on our balcony, watching the wonderful stars and planets as the ocean swept by.

How does this compare to my other cruises you might ask? I deliberatley did not compare, because I wanted to give the first time Princess cruiser a taste of what to expect, instead of RCI does this, or Carnival doesnt do that. but since this is my last paragraph:), I would rate this alongside my first Carnival cruise, and my first RCI cruise. Truly a wonderful vacation

I also was on the Golden 12/17 - 12/24. It was our first cruise.

RPhCruiser - I think you were right on the money about your review. We too thought the food and service were great. Ship was clean and in good order.

I would like to add a couple of things:

1 - St thomas - went sailing with Capt Max on the Lou - great trip if one can afford it. Capt Max was a great captain and hostess. We ended up joining her at the last minute as our originial sailboat was broken down. We met up with another cruise critic member and had a blast snorkeling.

2- St Kitts - We did the SE pennisula tour by 4WD. Very scenic - quiet beach at end to swim and snorkel - I give that tour a B. Don't do the "Best of St. Kitts" - alot of time spent in the taxi/tour van going through all the poor areas. Not much scenery. Spent 25 minutes at the Batik place and another 30 minutes at Brimstone - you'd be better off hiring privately or renting a car in order to spend more time at these locations. The fort was awesome, views fantastic. overall C-

3 - Grenada - We took a tour with Mandoo - He is fantastic. I give him an A+. He is so knowledgeable about the island, its history and its politics, economy and people. You can tell he loves his island and wants visitors to see its beauty. We took the Spice plantation tour route. I was disappointed with the waterfall stop - too crowded. (I did get some great photos of the waterfall in spite of the crowds.) Warning - the guys jumping off falls want money if you take their picture - there are also lots of vendors on way to falls - just say no thank you politely and they will generally leave you alone - this was the only downside of the tour.

4- Margarita - really a wasted stop, although another couple thought the tour they had was the best of their trip. The vendors at the port were good - lots of pearls. There were also local girls dancing in the open area for us. Very colorful - good photo op.

5- Aruba - I really liked this island. DH was indifferent. I took the New Waves Catamaran sail and snorkel - great trip if you like to snorkel, although there were 80 or so on the boat and you kinda bumped into each other at times. For the second stop we went to the Antilla (?) wreck. That was great. Then all the rum punch you could drink on the way back.:D

Sacway, Rphcruiser, Rosellen62, PhotogrFrGal, sorry to have missed you guys on the cruise. We got to the ship late, had our cabin changed, finished our dinner at 10:15 and didn't see anyone in the wheelhouse bar when we got there. As it turns out we did experience your, RPH, daughters celebration on the Nevis sail away boat. Our paths crossed and I didn't know it. Stuck to beer so I didn't have much of a hangover. PhotogrFrGal, was on the Aruba catamaran with you. Though the rum drinks were watered down, but thought the fish on the snorkeling stops were the best. As was previously expressed, each experience is different based on which excursions you took and which staff you encountered. On Grenada we took the nature park tour and had a great time. On Isla Margarita we took the Villa Sun and Sea tour and had a good time. As you experienced, we thought the food was very good, put on 3 pounds in 7 days. The theater entertainment was fair at best, but who had much time for that. Would recommed this cruise to anyone with the caveat that if you want to relax, stay on or near the ship because if you want to do the islands and experience everything, you are going to be going from 6am till 12am. Hope your luggage shows up, ours seemed easier to find this time and except for the wait at the United counter at the airport, the whole disembarkation process was a breeze.

yes...and I've seen him before in Vegas, and he was hilarious. but the opening night show on the ship was bad, really bad. I actually felt sorry for him as half the audience just upped and left

We saw him on the Star 11/04...he had one of the most entertaining shows we have seen at sea.....I wonder what happened????:confused:

Archived