Cruise Connection Bus VS Parking in Miami

Anngeojes

I took the Cruise Connection Bus last year from Ocala to Miami. For a 4 night cruise the cost for the bus was about the same as parking at the port. BUT I didn't have to drive by myself & try to find my way around a strange city, plus saved gas & wear & tear on my car.

It is a very LONG trip, we left about 6:15 am and I think I was boarding the ship about 2 p.m. As a single cruiser I would probably consider taking the bus again, but I'd probably check into airfare 1st. I'm just not one for long road trips!

Take the Bus!

Actually, it is a wonderful motor coach!

I have done the Naples route about 5 times (coming from Ft. Meyers). Naples (Burger King) is the last stop before Miami, then it is a smooth ride thru Alligator Alley watching a movie on one of the many overhead TVs. By the time the movie is over....you are there! They have always gotten us to port around 11 AM or sooner. Often before the ship is ready for new passengers.

There is no snacking on the bus, so have breakfast before you board. Otherwise I highly recommend it. (Years back it used to be free, then a nominal fee, and now it's about $55 RT. but that's not much considering it's about how much you'd pay RT shuttle from a nearby airport to port).

edited to add....there is also a bathroom on the bus.

We've taken the Cruise Connection bus everytime we have cruised. Although it is a very nice ride to the port and you get right up to the terminal, the last 2 times we've taken it we've been very disappointed with the trip back home.

They don't clearly tell you what time you need to disembark the ship or what time the bus will arrive at the port to pick you up. All they say is to not hurry off the ship on the last day. Unfortunately, this translates to some people as "stay on until you are the last ones off the ship". The bus will not leave port until everyone is on it for the trip back and the last time we waited until 2:30PM before we could leave. Waiting on a bus for 3 hours is not a fun ending to a cruise.

This year we're driving to the port.

We just used Cruise Connection 3 weeks ago. We came right home and booked it again for our September cruise out of Ft Lauderdale.

It takes longer than driving yourself but you do not have to mess with the traffic. We read and slept and they stopped for lunch each direction.

We would not do it any differently out of Miami or FLL. We will continue to drive to Tampa or Port Canaveral.

Hope this helps

We used Cruise Connection quite a few times when cruising out of Miami - back when it was free, and one trip when we had to pay $20 each.

Taking the bus solves a lot of hassles with driving, parking, etc.

However, neither my DH or I are fond of buses, and the last trip was truly miserable for me. Packing until 2am, up at 4:30am, then a bad breakfast with battery acid disguised as coffee that required repeated doses of antacids and immodium throughout the morning. Not fun.

Paying large $ to get up at the crack of dawn and be thoroughly uncomfortable is not appealing, so in future we will probably drive down the night before, stay with points, and park.

However, if you can get the bus for a decent price, and can be reasonably comfortable, it's a wonderful service.

Have a great trip however you decide to get there!

Wendy

Since Naples is the last stop on the bus route, the time it takes to get to port should be about the same as driving yourself. (unless you drive like a maniac, LOL). Once everybody that is on their manifest is aboard, the bus leaves, sometimes early, but I believe they do not wait long if you arrive late. On the Naples route, there is no option for another stop to delay the trip. The bus driver is in constant contact with the port and knows how the disembarkation is going and which cruiselines are allowing the new passengers on. They let you off right at the pier. Your luggage is stored under the bus and you can board with a small carry-on.

I have waited on the bus for additional passengers to load up after the cruise on one occasion. Naples is the first stop on the way home. I believe we arrived in Ft. Meyers (the stop after Naples) around 1:30 or 2:00 pm.

Personally it's a toss up on driving or taking the bus. I would like the freedom to drive myself, but I will have to park and deal with that hassle. If you have car trouble you may miss the ship. With the bus I am pretty sure they will wait to sail. But once the cruise is over, I just want to get home, and that would be better driving myself.

Another thought is to book a hotel room the night before that has free parking for the duration of your cruise. I do not know if Miami has such hotels. Sometimes booking a hotel is close the cost of parking at the pier.

Archived