San Juan/NYC round trip flight so high!

kendon

Is anyone else cancelling a cruise since the San Juan/NYC flights are so expensive? It's killing me to have to cancel my Southern Caribbean cruise on the Golden for our family of four for April. I love, love, love this itinerary and ship but it looks like the cost will be going over the top for us.

Is anyone else cancelling a cruise since the San Juan/NYC flights are so expensive? It's killing me to have to cancel my Southern Caribbean cruise on the Golden for our family of four for April. I love, love, love this itinerary and ship but it looks like the cost will be going over the top for us.

Have you checked JetBlue? Or have any frequent flier miles you could use?

Kendon,

We're sailing on the golden in april from San Juan and were going to book the flight at $365 RTPP one day but decided to wait a bit to see if it would come down. Sure enough the very next day it came down almost 50%. I'm not sure what made it come down but it could happen. Alternate choices would be to check out some neary airports such as Philly for example or fly back the next day to catch a better rate.

I often use this: www.mobissimo.com

Kendon,

We're sailing on the golden in april from San Juan and were going to book the flight at $365 RTPP one day but decided to wait a bit to see if it would come down. Sure enough the very next day it came down almost 50%. I'm not sure what made it come down but it could happen. Alternate choices would be to check out some neary airports such as Philly for example or fly back the next day to catch a better rate.

I often use this: www.mobissimo.com

WOW! $183 R/T! We cant fly to FLL / MIA for that. Good catch. Is that non-stop?

We've tried Mobissimo, Kayak, and individual airline sights (all of them). Today was the lowest at $520 round trip. I still have some time before cancellation penalties for the cruise. Thanks for the outstanding response!

WOW! $183 R/T! We cant fly to FLL / MIA for that. Good catch. Is that non-stop?

Actually $203 RT non-stop from Newark, NJ on Continental. It's also the beginning of the month which usually tends to have cheaper airfares. No idea why either.

Have you looked at doing a back-to-back ticketing? i.e. find the cheapest possible flight on airline A to/from San Juan out of city XYZ. Then, book a separate ticket on a different airline from your home city to city XYZ.

For example: perhaps you could find a cheap round trip flight to San Juan from Atlanta on Delta. Then, book a separate ticket on, say, Northwest to go from/to your hometown to Atlanta. It may not save you a whole lot, but may we worth investigating.

If you don't mind going out of Philly the flights are usually much cheaper than Newark or any of the NY airports. Did you check Air Tran out of Philly? They've been running some great fares that are lower than Newark.

Eileen

If you don't mind going out of Philly the flights are usually much cheaper than Newark or any of the NY airports. Did you check Air Tran out of Philly? They've been running some great fares that are lower than Newark.

Eileen

Broncoscruiser, the flights can be reasonable if the flight arrives in San Juan in the evening, say around 10 pm or so, but the cruise leaves at 11 pm. Those low fairs also leave Puerto Rico in the morning, just when I'm diembarking. Too close. I've seen those low fairs also. Everyone's help has been terrific.

I am finding a number of options on different weekends in April that get in to San Juan before 5PM (and around noon if you don't mind a flight leavnig at 6AM) and leave San Juan after noon (and later). Most of these are between $350 and $400.

Not knowing your dates, abiltiy to arrive a day early/leave a day later, etc. it looks to me like there are some reasonable options for you.

But that is just a general search on my part.

we flew out of Newark for our Golden cruise earlier this month and got a $288pp fare through American Airlines. Of course, we booked several months ago, so with gas prices and all, this fare is probably obsolete. As far as flying from Philadelphia: we're from Philly, but chose to fly out of Newark because at the time of booking, fares were much cheaper out of New Jersey. Just have to keep an eye on things- they change fast.

Rob

Why dont you book the repo cruise in April that way you'll just need a one way ticket to San Juan. I did that last May and I only paid $99.00 one way. Just a thought:)

Archived