Bayonne Embarkation time and tips

JohnVC

I am going on the Explorer in August 2006 - first time cruise. Any suggestions on what time we should arrive at the port. Any tips to make the embarkation process easier. Traveling with two kids, my wife and mother in law. Mother in law has MS and will need wheelchair to board.

Thanks for the assistance.

I would suggest being at the port by 11:00 AM. To get from the terminal building where you check in to the ship requires a short ride in a bus. If your mother in law needs a wheelchair, they will normally take all of the wheelchair passengers in the first bus that goes to the ship before they let the general mob of people go on board. This is not to say that you have to be there very early to get the first bus, I'm just saying that the wheelchair passengers are allowed to board first. If you get there later they will still accomodate you.

we were on the Voyager out of Bayonne in Sept. We got to the port at 11:30 and were on board at 12. For those embarking after our cruise it was a different story. Due to some inconsiderate passengers not reporting to immigration we were late disembarking, we were third from the last color to leave and we got off the ship at 11:30. So that delayed the embarkation of the next group of passengers. I would say, in general, If you got to the port at 12:30 you would have no problem. Even if there was a delay on the ship before you, most of that mess should be cleared out by then.

I recommend dropping all your luggage off with the family and have one person park. Most of the parking lot is unpaved, making it difficult to roll luggage, and in your case, the wheelchair. From what I've seen and heard the crew is very accomodating to disabled passengers, it's the other passengers you may have to watch out for.

Dropping off is a good idea IF, and this is based on what I saw due to the previous ship being late in disembarking, IF the line to reach the terminal is not already 1/2-1 mile long. Once you drop off, you'll have to go all the way around again! Since parking is right next to the terminal, I would just park, assuming you have wheelchair access. And if you get there by 12:30, you'll most likely be parked so close, you can just go get a wheelchair and come back to the car.

Hope this helps!

we were on the Voyager out of Bayonne in Sept. We got to the port at 11:30 and were on board at 12. For those embarking after our cruise it was a different story. Due to some inconsiderate passengers not reporting to immigration we were late disembarking, we were third from the last color to leave and we got off the ship at 11:30. So that delayed the embarkation of the next group of passengers. I would say, in general, If you got to the port at 12:30 you would have no problem. Even if there was a delay on the ship before you, most of that mess should be cleared out by then.

Homebody sounds like you were on our cruise. We were on Voyager on September 9th - 18th. The embarktion was horrible , we were so sick of watching 2 1/2 men and everybody loves raymond , they played them over and over again. I think they were looking for a woman at the end , I was ready to walk around and find her myself.

Nope, not on your cruise. We were on Sept. 23-Oct 2. Western Caribbean. Embarkation for us was great. It was the Bermuda cruise after us that had to wait to board because of people on our cruise.

Wish I was back on the boat :rolleyes:

Archived