Shopping Question

Hev1128

I am a watch collector and Pam loves jewelry. I would say that for the most part the shops on board are not the best places to purchase jewelry. You’ll find better prices on the internet and at your local stores. However, you will save on taxes as most items purchased on a cruise are duty free.

If there is a particular watch or type of jewelry that you are after I would check prices at home before you leave to get an idea of the market price. Keep in mind that all of the items on a cruise ship are priced at MSRP and marked down from there. MSRP on luxury goods tend to be very inflated so even a 50% discount (or 90% for some watches like Invicta) may not be a good deal.

Still Pam and I enjoy going to the jewelry seminars and raffles for the freebies. And if there is something that is not too expensive that we want to purchase as a memento of our vacation we may buy as long as it’s not too much more expensive than we could find on land.

Having an internet connection to be able to “google” prices while shopping would be a good idea.

I usually stay away from shopping for watches or jewelries on board as well as from buying from another country as well as when the cruise ship docked at certain ports. Keep in mind about the warranty. It is only tax duty free on the cruise, but you might find the price less costly at your local store like Macy's or from online.

i bought a watch on board once, a particular one that i could only find on board, i got it for a good price and tax free, other than that i suggest looking somewhere else to find better jewelry. For instance, if you are on the Panama Canal route that goes to Cartagena Colombia, NCL is known to display emeralds, but like i told friends better get off the ship and purchase the emeralds in Cartagena, they will be a lot cheaper and 18kt gold as opposed to 14kt...Good luck on what you are looking for.