International travel

Richard/Traci

It depends on the context of the discussion. Puerto Rico is a commonwealth of the U.S. but is not a state, so that puts it in a grey area. As an American citizen, you don't need a passport to visit PR. On the other hand, it's not exactly the same as driving from New York to New Jersey. Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands are also commonwealths of the U.S. and I think that most people would consider traveling there somewhat exotic and probably international. Same goes for Puerto Rico.

You might want to take a look at your health insurance, though. Just because St. Thomas and Puerto Rico are U.S. territories doesn't necessarily mean that your (50-state) health card will work there. It won't work on a cruise ship, either.

Also, if renting a car in Puerto Rico, be sure to check your auto insurance....we knew we were covered in all 50 states & Canada even...so we were totally shocked to find out our auto insurance did NOT cover us in Puerto Rico. Our local insurance agent was also shocked....he initially chuckled at my inquiry, reminding me that Puerto Rico was a US territory. Just to humor me, he agreed to look it up....he is still wiping the egg off his face!

Archived