To TA or Not Ta

VanDyklings

I've done a fair bit of traveling and this is my fourth cruise, but the first I've left in the hands of a travel agent. I've not been very impressed with the TA and I'm left with the troubling suspicion that I might have done better myself.

I like the pre-planning of a trip and love extensive research (which is part of my day job), so maybe I'm being overly critical. What do you think? Do you prefer to do the details yourself, or would you rather leave in the hands of a TA? And, if you like the TA route, what would you say are the red flags for a bad TA and the green flags for a good TA?

We do quite a bit of traveling, some on cruiseships. I too enjoy researching and decide through my research where we go, and what we do. Then I call my TA. He has become a good friend over the years and is also an excellent source to add to my research. I still feel more comfortable booking through my TA.

We do quite a bit of traveling, some on cruiseships. I too enjoy researching and decide through my research where we go, and what we do. Then I call my TA. He has become a good friend over the years and is also an excellent source to add to my research. I still feel more comfortable booking through my TA.

Yes, that would be the ideal relationship between traveller and agent, I think. Thanks Debordo!

My statement would be identical to Debordo except mine would say "She"...:) ... in lieu of "He".

A good TA wil get you the best price. We just booked a 10 day crusie through our TA and she got us a "Past Passenger" cost for 22% less than the cost published on Princess' web site.

We then book flights on line because it is so easy and we can make decisions on times, connections, etc.

I have yet to find a TA that can tell me anything new about a cruise or trip that I don't already know. I too enjoy doing the research and finding things that interest me and my family. I worked in a travel agency many years ago and it is my passion. Unfortunately my full time job now gets in the way. I am happier booking with an online TA and saving $$$$ because I haven't found a local TA that can come anywhere near the price I pay through an online TA. I don't get enough out of a local TA to warrant spending the extra money. For somebody that isn't an obsessive planner a local TA is the way to go. This reply is certainly not meant to slam TA's. I know there are some excellent TA's out there.

I have told this story before. Our first cruise, we used a T/A that because of where my wife worked, we would get 10 per cent off.

After signing the paper work, but before picking up the tix I found all the different websites and groups.

We went in to pickup the docs and realized I knew a whole lot more about my cruise than the T/A. In fact, she was giving us wrong information on some things. We did save 10% off their price, but overpaid by about 15% overall

Bottom line, for your first cruise it’s not a bad idea to use a T/A. However, once you know exactly what you want AND you can save on fess, do the work yourself…

I too like to research, but find my TA to be a valuable ally. For example, she continues to check all sources to find a lower price on a cruise I have booked, then negotiates with Princess to get me the same rate. I usually travel for less than the online offers because of this. She's gotten me upgrades about a third of the time (which from the boards I'm guessing is good for a guaranteed cabin). And on one cruise where I bought Princess air thru her, we were in an isloated part of the world (that's why I bought Princess air), and the flight they chose had been cancelled. My agent had been checking on it, and rebooked our flight, thus allowing us to get out when a large bunch of our cruisemates were stuck.

In this day, it is possible to be your own agent. Knowledgeable people can probably safely travel most of the world on their own. But I sleep a little bit more soundly knowing she's looking out for me.

No expert here, but I'd say green flags are:

1. He/she asks you what you want, then doesnt try to talk you into something else (not to be confused with supplying options but backing off if you say no).

2. They tell you what they know and what they don't about your requested destination, and offer to find out other things for you.

3. They offer more than one company, unless you specify (for example, if I just want "a cruise" they might ask me what kind, etc to help me pick a line, but if I say I want "Princess" they only look at Princess). You know they aren't getting a kickback from companies that aren't selling well that way.

4. They should find out what your budget is, and not exceed it without your approval.

I too like to research, but find my TA to be a valuable ally. For example, she continues to check all sources to find a lower price on a cruise I have booked, then negotiates with Princess to get me the same rate. I usually travel for less than the online offers because of this. She's gotten me upgrades about a third of the time (which from the boards I'm guessing is good for a guaranteed cabin). And on one cruise where I bought Princess air thru her, we were in an isloated part of the world (that's why I bought Princess air), and the flight they chose had been cancelled. My agent had been checking on it, and rebooked our flight, thus allowing us to get out when a large bunch of our cruisemates were stuck.

In this day, it is possible to be your own agent. Knowledgeable people can probably safely travel most of the world on their own. But I sleep a little bit more soundly knowing she's looking out for me.

No expert here, but I'd say green flags are:

1. He/she asks you what you want, then doesnt try to talk you into something else (not to be confused with supplying options but backing off if you say no).

2. They tell you what they know and what they don't about your requested destination, and offer to find out other things for you.

3. They offer more than one company, unless you specify (for example, if I just want "a cruise" they might ask me what kind, etc to help me pick a line, but if I say I want "Princess" they only look at Princess). You know they aren't getting a kickback from companies that aren't selling well that way.

4. They should find out what your budget is, and not exceed it without your approval.

Archived