Can a 12 year old go in the children's clubs?

I have a similar situation. We are traveling with cousins who are 13 and 16, so 2 different age groups. The 13 year old is mine and he is very mature for his age and would have no problem playing in a group of 15-17 year olds. The 16 year old is my nephew and is “globally delayed” he is more on target with the abilities in the 12-14 group. But would be fine in the 15-17 group as well.

How strictly do they stick to the age ranges? Can the boys stick together with one age group or the other or will they have to split with their actual age groups? (To clarify, I’d prefer my 13 year old stay in the 12-14 year old range. But in something like dodgeball or soccer he could easily “hang with the big boys” if it meant playing with his cousin.

I guess, like the OP, Im wondering how strictly they stick to the age ranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've been on two cruises since our daughter turned 12, once when she was 12 1/2 and the other time when she was just shy of her 14th birthday. The teen program was not real structured and they can come and go as they please without a parent checking them in or out. I've found that the teens generally meet up in the teen lounge then head out to other parts of the ship. It should be no problem with them hanging out together. Depending on how many teens are on the ship they may separate the older teens from the younger for some structured activities but not many.

Make sure they go to the teen club the first night for the meet and greet. Our DD made friends with some other teens then hung with them the rest of the cruise - we hardly ever saw her except when we were in port. We set some rules and she was required to meet us for dinner each night. She had a blast.

On our next cruise our daughter will have just graduated from high school but she won't turn 18 till the last day of the cruise, I am glad she won't have aged out of the teen group but she's worried that the other kids will be too young.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Pretty big Non-Issue for us. The 16 year old didn’t like the Teen Club and the 13 year old did go to a few teen events but not too many.

I found that most teen events either took place over dinner or were canceled by rain or high winds.

Neither of our boys are really into just randomly hanging out so probably didn’t utilize the teen area as well as they could have. Plus, both being only children they are use to just doing whatever we do and getting them to venture off on their own can be difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums