Indian food?

forbjz

We have noticed on our last 3 NCL cruises the head chef was from India, or Indian descent.

On the BA BA+ ships there will be a separate hot food area in the buffet that features food from India.  Since we are not fans, we have only tried a few items, and really can't compare or rate them.

On our last cruise (Escape) we sat in the buffet for lunch near that food station, and three 2nd gen US Indian couples with young kids sat near us.  They all seemed to enjoy the Indian food.  

Also, all types of food on the buffet are "watered down" versions with low spice and salt levels.  Cooking for the masses demands this.  

Having visited Mexico in several locations, the US Mexican, vs Tex Mex (northern Mexico), vs SE Mexico vs SW Mexico is probably similar to the varieties in India.  Very hard to cover them all.  

• Like 2

I have never been to India, but we do enjoy "North Indian" food very much.  (An Indian cookbook says a lot of the dishes we see in the US were popularized near New Delhi).  The corner of the buffet on NCL with a few Indian items is helpful when the school cafeteria pizza (not hand tossed) is not getting the job done.  More than once (a day) I have thought- I wonder if there is decent Indian (or Indonesian) in the crew galley?   Maybe the chef down there does one dish for the passenger buffet with a little sign?   The comment that the passengers want mainstream, bland "Americanized" food is largely true, but once you have had Pizza in Naples or Carbonara in Rome, the modified, watered down food is not up to standard.  All of this (i.e. menu adjustments) requires Corporate to get involved I think.  Good luck with that.  

Recently on Encore, Joy, and Prima.

Indian food was excellent. I always chat with the chefs at the Indian counter buffet or sit at the Indulge Indian area and speak directly to the chefs. Always get great food and service.

6 hours ago, ew101 said:

I have never been to India, but we do enjoy "North Indian" food very much.  (An Indian cookbook says a lot of the dishes we see in the US were popularized near New Delhi).  The corner of the buffet on NCL with a few Indian items is helpful when the school cafeteria pizza (not hand tossed) is not getting the job done.  More than once (a day) I have thought- I wonder if there is decent Indian (or Indonesian) in the crew galley?   Maybe the chef down there does one dish for the passenger buffet with a little sign?   The comment that the passengers want mainstream, bland "Americanized" food is largely true, but once you have had Pizza in Naples or Carbonara in Rome, the modified, watered down food is not up to standard.  All of this (i.e. menu adjustments) requires Corporate to get involved I think.  Good luck with that.  

I don't want "Americanized" ethnic food; but I do want edible. And everything I've heard about "real" indian food is that many Americans would find it inedible due to spice levels. The closest we had was when we visited Thailand. My friend ordered and indian dish at a restaurant. She said that it was extremely hot but tasty so she ate it. She was sick for the next two days due to overwhelming acid reflux/upset stomach symptoms. We don't think anything was wrong with it, just far too much spice for her stomach to handle. 

My husband is Punjabi/Pakistani (I am not)  and the Indian food selections on the Jewel cruise to Alaska in the Garden Cafe last year (July 22) were quite good according to him. They had freshly prepared roti and paratha while you were waiting and rotating dishes like idlli/sambaar/daal/ saag paneer/ kitchari served with the usual sides. He particularly enjoyed their lamb curry, but they had various chicken dishes as well. Northern Indians tend to enjoy bones in some of their more stewed meat dishes from what I’ve seen, for added flavor. 

Each morning they had a small server of chai and I had to fight the aunties who kept cutting in front of me in line to get a cup- it was also very good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CCruiser08 said:

Each morning they had a small server of chai and I had to fight the aunties who kept cutting in front of me in line to get a cup- it was also very good. 

What? It's not chai tea? 🙂

But really, I would love to see a vat of chai on my next cruise. I guess I'll have to be on the lookout! Bags of chai just don't do it for me. 

the indian food onboard the prima is excellent. i assume some can be found in the buffet, but i haven't eaten there yet. the "tamara" station in the indulge food hall serves authentic indian cuisine, although not all dishes/condiments are at all meal services.

all the indian food i have had in the buffet on other NCL ships has been top notch.

• Thanks 1

A few years ago I skipped the Haven restaurant and ate the Indian food in the Breakaway buffet multiple times. A huge spread and super tasty. Was looking forward to the same on Getaway in January but it was very minimal, sadly.  Since the NCL buffet desserts are tragic, in my pre-Haven days I'd finish a meal there with papadums and the sweet chutney and be very happy to do so.  

I've long thought they should have a dedicated Indian or Thai restaurant on board. I think most folks can find an Italian or Chinese restaurant at home - this would be a real attraction. Sounds like maybe one is happening on a new ship? 

I love the Indian food in the buffet. Like others, I first tried Indian food at a later age and had no idea what I had been missing.

NCL's offerings are generally very good. I would also love a dedicated Indian restaurant, but the buffet is often easier since there are lots of selections, the food lends itself to being buffet-style, and I don't know what half of it is by name so I just try what looks good!

Edited by dcipjr

1 hour ago, DaisyGoldberg said:

A few years ago I skipped the Haven restaurant and ate the Indian food in the Breakaway buffet multiple times. A huge spread and super tasty. Was looking forward to the same on Getaway in January but it was very minimal, sadly.  Since the NCL buffet desserts are tragic, in my pre-Haven days I'd finish a meal there with papadums and the sweet chutney and be very happy to do so.  

I've long thought they should have a dedicated Indian or Thai restaurant on board. I think most folks can find an Italian or Chinese restaurant at home - this would be a real attraction. Sounds like maybe one is happening on a new ship? 

the prima does have an indian station, branded as "tamara," in the indulge food hall.

as for the haven... if you speak to the maitre d in the haven restaurant, he or she can arrange (with a day's notice) to have a full indian meal served in the haven restaurant. so, if you wanted a lobster tail with your curry or your chicken tikka, that can be done!