Alaska 2019 with kids

Mandybigg

On 6/26/2018 at 6:16 AM, Mandybigg said:

There are just too many of you to thank individually! Thank you all for your input. I've been reading this board since before we took our spring break DCL cruise on the Fantasy (Star Wars Day at Sea). I'm surprised that not a single person has defended DCL (although I did post in the Princess board). There are some rabid defenders out there! I cancelled our DCL reservation. I didn't mind paying the price tag for our first cruise. We specifically chose Star Wars Day at Sea so my oldest could do Jedi Training and meet all the SW characters. My youngest got to have a BBB makeover and meet Anna and Elsa without standing in a long line. She also got to hug Cinderella everyday. It was worth the $ to not have to go to WDW. We aren't Disney park people, but wanted to give our kids the experience. Cruising was the way to go. I booked the Alaska cruise when we were on board to get the 10% off knowing I could cancel. As time went on, I just could not justify the cost. DH and I went to Alaska 9 years ago. We spent 3 days in the Denali backcountry, ice climbed, fished, rafted, etc... Ultimately, we just don't need Disney to see Alaska. I don't mind them in the Caribbean. We had a wonderful time on our cruise, but the focus was on the characters and the Disney experience. I want Alaska to be about Alaska.

So, I know I am a little late to this conversation, but I will reply in case it helps anyone else trying to decide.  I am huge fan of DCL lines to the Carribean.  Yes they are expensive, but here are the things that made us take 2 Disney Cruises in 2 years.

1)  Access to the Characters is much easier on the Disney Cruise than in the Parks  My kids were 6 and 9 at time of first sailing and big time into Disney. So we got lots of Autographs

2)  Everything on the ship included in the price.   We were on the Disney Dream, and outside the 2 upscale restaraunts, and alcohol and gratuity everything is included.   All your food, sodas, teas, juice.  All you can eat self serve ice cream.   Micky Bars delivered to your room at 10pm for a movie.

3) The Shows everynight were fantastic.  Beauty and the Beast show was the best I have seen.  The magicians shows are all geared for kids and truly family friendly.

4)  The room we had was the Family Balcony.  It had a queen and a seperate area where the couch turned into a bed and one came down to make bunk beds.  My kids love bunk beds and hate sleeping next to each other on a pull out sofa.  The bathroom is split into 2 different rooms, one has a sink and shower, the other has sink and toilet.  Great for getting ready in the morning, or cleaning up for dinner.  

5)  Dining is geared towards kids.  The art of animation restaurant is awesome, where you interact with Crush from Finding Nemo.  You have the same waite staff so the second night all of our drinks were ready for us.  The staff does magic tricks to entertain the kids, and the food was really good.

6)  Castaway Cay island is great, but doesnt really apply to compare cruises in Alaska.  They dock at the island, no tenders.

7)  The ship is great, and is spotless.  So much to do outside of the ports, the big movie screen by the pool is playing movies all day, and Pirate night is a big hit

😎 Kids clubs - Mine thoroughly enjoyed the kids clubs, they went everyday for a couple of hours.

That being said, it is very expensive and the price difference to Alaska is a lot bigger than to the Carribean.  So we are looking at Princess, Norwegian or Royal Carribean for a 1 way north bound trip with a couple day stay in Denali.  We can do that for the same price as a DCL cruise to Alaska.   I hope we love a different cruise line like we do Disney 🙂

--Mark 

Edited by MarkPizazz