dramamine and glaucoma

Coolmama_1

HELP!

We are leaving on our cruise on Saturday. Today my 78 yr old father decided that he needed dramamine because he is sure he will get seasick. (nothing like waiting till the last minute. This cruise has been planned for almost a year!)The problem is he has glaucoma and most meds have a warning on them about the use because it can increase eye pressure. Does anyone have any experience with this or other remedies?

My parents are here from out of town so I will call his dr. in the am. In the meantime. does anyone have any suggestions?

I swear by ReliefBands (available at Sharper Image or online). They have a battery and send a sensation through your wrist. I have Meniere's DZ and use them when I have vertigo. While I will still experience the dizziness, the nausea goes away. We even gave my SIL a ReliefBand (written as seen, it is their trademark) while she was going through chemo. When she experienced terrible nausea it did not clear it, but it did help her most days. I like it because I do not have to ingest anything that can interact with my other meds. Best of luck to you! -Paula

HELP!

We are leaving on our cruise on Saturday. Today my 78 yr old father decided that he needed dramamine because he is sure he will get seasick. (nothing like waiting till the last minute. This cruise has been planned for almost a year!)The problem is he has glaucoma and most meds have a warning on them about the use because it can increase eye pressure. Does anyone have any experience with this or other remedies?

My parents are here from out of town so I will call his dr. in the am. In the meantime. does anyone have any suggestions?

Don't take any advice offered here, please follow your father's doctor's instructions, he knows his medical needs and history. Better to be seasick than cause other permanent problems.

Most ships are so large, they don't move like they used to in regular weather. Have a great trip.....:)

Don't take any advice offered here, please follow your father's doctor's instructions, he knows his medical needs and history. Better to be seasick than cause other permanent problems.

Amen to that!!

I swear by SeaBands- cheap, comfortable and they work.

HELP!

I second the opinion, please check with his doctor.

I use 2 ginger capsules in the am and then 2 ginger capsules in the pm plus sea band everyday of our NCL cruise. I do have occassional bouts of vertigo so I'm always worried about seasickness. Did the NCL Dawn in 2004 with only a tiny bit of seasickness but we were in a storm so everyone was a little green (the kids loved it, it rocked them to a sound sleep). I used the ginger caps for 9 months (as per my dr.'s recommendation) of constant pregnancy nausea and it was a god sent miracle. That's what has worked for me.

Eileen

I would agree to check with the eye doc but I have had glaucoma for many years and have never been told not to take dramamine or bonine. In fact I always take it when I cruise. However, my pressure has never been up when I have been on board either. So I would say ask the doc, but just from my personal experience you probably don't have anything to worry about.

CoolMama1 - I agree with the other posters to check with his ophthalmologist. I will tell you this though, I have worked with an ophthalmology practice for 16 1/2 years and I know that when over the counter remedies warn you not to take certain medications if you have glaucoma specifically refer to patients that have a condition called 'narrow angle glaucoma'. The majority of people that have glaucoma have 'open angle glaucoma' and can safely take the remedies you refer to. However, it is always best to check with your medical professional to be sure.

Archived