Shore excursions in afternoon

azalice

I have medical issues and cannot always make morning shore excursions. On ocean cruises I seldom chose an excursion before 11 am. Does river cruising offer much in the way of afternoon excursions? Or is river cruising not for me? I do like to get off the boat and see and learn about where I am.

The answer will very much depend on cruise line - you should be able to get timing from the actual cruise itinerary. At the link below you can see the schedule for my cruise. Very much morning excursions. Since much smaller ships number of excursions very limited. https://almarosawinerycruise.blogspot.com/p/excursions.html

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It is best to contact your individual cruise line and/or itinerary to enquire. Some cruise lines (e.g. Uniworld) try to be more accommodating than others, although in the majority of cases, the excursions are in the morning with "Optional" excursions in the afternoon.

There is of course nothing stopping you from making your own private arrangements whilst the ship is in dock.

Hi!

On Viking River Cruises, their included excursions begin in the morning unless the ship arrives at a location later in the day. In the afternoon and evenings optional excursions are usually offered although some of the optional ones are full day. The included excursions tend to be a walking and/or bus tour that provides an overview of the area. The optional excursions may go to a different area or focus on more specific interests (like winery tours, visit to scenic locations not included in depth on the included tour, tours related to local industries or home visits, or dinners at local restaurants).

One thing to say about river cruises is that (at least in Europe) be boats are generally docked near the older historic part of the towns/cities you visit. This makes it easier to explore on your own and at your own pace, if that works better for you. We'd usually take the morning tour, come back to the ship for lunch, and then go back out to explore independently.

I don't know if this helps but tours don't usually leave before sunrise. That means if you are taking a cruise in the middle of the summer when the days are longer, tours might be likely to depart earlier. If you go in the winter tours will tend to leave a little later. Just a thought.

Good luck with your planning!