Gratuities Rate of Increases over the Years...

My point is that, although they some of you who'll defend the cruise lines to the death & will pay whatever "service charge" that they place on your account, some like me would like an adult discussion about the annual 7% increases...

I've tried that, not enough people here can do the basic math to see it makes no sense. Remember, there is a contract guaranteeing a base rate for employees. Does anyone really believe they are getting yearly increases of this percentage? I don't.

Yes, Yes, Yes, I totally agree with all you geniuses that costs goes up every year. I believe it's called Inflation. Yes. Agreed.

Just saw this post:

https://cruisemaven.com/royal-caribbean-increases-gratuities-again-wonder-why/

Esp:

"This is the third time in three years that Royal Caribbean has jacked up the rate for daily gratuities. In 2015, the daily gratuity went from $12 per person per day, to $12.95. Then again in 2016 the rate went from $12.95 to $13.50 per person per day. According to my math, in less than three years, that’s an increase of $2.50 per person per day (to $14.50 today)"

So that's a 21% increase in 3 yrs.

Forget about 2001, I don't think they had auto grats way back then. I agree with the article that auto grats only began about 8 years ago or so...

My point is that, although they some of you who'll defend the cruise lines to the death & will pay whatever "service charge" that they place on your account, some like me would like an adult discussion about the annual 7% increases...

Great post OP. Its good to see the numbers and maybe the explanations, once you get past the usual 'we pay this, we pay that, we dont pay, you should pay' gratuities comments :o