License Plates

Piper934

There are a couple shops around George Town that sell souvenir plates that they have bought from Vehicle Licensing and other shops have replica plates that never were actually used. You can buy previously used plates straight from the Vehicle Licensing office. Each plate costs CI$16 = US$20. These are typically used plates that have been turned in for one reason or another.

The George Town office on Crewe Rd is a bit out of town and might be a pain to get to and be VERY crowded. There is an office in West Bay near the police station and another in Breakers toward the eastern end of the island. Neither of those offices are likely to be busy. I would strongly encourage calling ahead to be sure either of those last two offices actually have what you want in stock.

Cayman has gone through a transition in plate design within the last year or so. Most plates used to be yellow or orange with black numbers or white plates for rental cars. The new plates are all white and the color of the numbers varies a bit. They may not have many of the new plates available yet.

There are a couple shops around George Town that sell souvenir plates that they have bought from Vehicle Licensing and other shops have replica plates that never were actually used. You can buy previously used plates straight from the Vehicle Licensing office. Each plate costs CI$16 = US$20. These are typically used plates that have been turned in for one reason or another.

The George Town office on Crewe Rd is a bit out of town and might be a pain to get to and be VERY crowded. There is an office in West Bay near the police station and another in Breakers toward the eastern end of the island. Neither of those offices are likely to be busy. I would strongly encourage calling ahead to be sure either of those last two offices actually have what you want in stock.

Cayman has gone through a transition in plate design within the last year or so. Most plates used to be yellow or orange with black numbers or white plates for rental cars. The new plates are all white and the color of the numbers varies a bit. They may not have many of the new plates available yet.

Great Info. I appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

• 6 months later...

I found plates in the shops right next to the Hell Post Office, wasn't sure I'd have time to find the Licensing Offices.  However they were pretty rough and Shop 1 wanted $35 a plate.  I went in to shop 2 and the nice older lady gave me one for FREE, didn't want to take my money.  So I bought a soda and gave her a bill that I thought was fair and wouldn't take the change :-)