Nassau for a day... what's best for family, kids 10 & 12

kmf777

In Nassau, off the Explorer of the Seas for 6 hours... what's best to do? Family w/ children in teens and 9 & 10. Will have done the beaches in St Thomas and Martin... last port of the cruise so want to make it memorable!

Thanks! Leave Sunday... Yahoo!

GO PATS!

Kevin

Hmmmm.... not sure if Nassau is 'memorable' :rolleyes: , but it is a nice place. The last time I went, we did Ardastra Gardens - which is mostly a small zoo with beautiful flowers all around. I had missed this little excursion on my previous visits so I wanted to try something new. My 14 yo DS LOVED it!!!! You can feed the parrots - they land on your hand and arm - in a big enclosed cage. It is relatively inexpensive and you can just take a cab from the pier, no need for the fancy shore excursion. There is also a Hard Rock next to the port which always pleases kids (as well as a new Starbucks which TOTALLY made my trip to Nassau)!

I do not know if you will get this before you leave but my husband and I went to Ardastra Zoo. We both loved it.

We saw a flamingo show and they pick people out of the audience to come in with the flamingos and have your picture taken. The flamingo with be walking all around you and they even sometime smell you.

But, what we really liked was feeding the Lory parrots. You go in the cage with the birds and a worker who has apples in a bowl. Eveyone takes a piece of the apple holds it in there hands and then wait and see what happens. The parrots come and land on you and eat right out of your hand. We both loved this it was very neat.

If you do this do not go with cruise do it on your own. There was a group that came in with the cruise and they missed the parrot feeding. It is very easy to catch the number 10 bus. If you walk along the waterfront area you will come to where the bus picks up and lets off people. The cost for the bus ride is $1.00 pp each way. The cost for the zoo is $12.00 pp adult. I do not know the price for kids you can check there web site at. http://www.ardastra.com.

Hope this gives you and idea.

Archived