2019 possible crusie to Europe with teens

dans0202

I am fortunate to have been on many cruises, all of which have been Caribbean or Alaska.

I am looking at a few cruises European cruises for my family next summer (July).

Kids will be 19 and 16 years old, also fortunate to have been on many cruises all of which have been the new mega ships.

I am looking at 3 options. The Getaway to the Baltic, the Star to Greece and the Jade to Italy/Greece. We have been on the Getaway multiple times but to Europe I don’t want to let the ship influence my choice too much (that said we really do like the specialty restaurants on the Getaway).

I am not looking to blow the bank on excursions but I am also not a huge fan of the heat or just sitting at the beach. Based on my research to date in July I assume Greece is going to be unbearably hot but that in the Baltic I am going to pay a lot more for excursions.

Just looking for some opinions on traveling to Europe with teens, how hot Greece really is and thoughts on the cost of must do excursions.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Dan,

We did the Getaway Baltic last summer and the Star out of Venice this summer - family of 4 with an 18/14 year old last summer - 19/15 this summer. I asked my kids this question after our trip this summer. They enjoyed all of the ports last summer and liked the Getaway facilities better. But - they said overall they enjoyed this year’s trip more. The younger one said the club was fun on both ships. Last year was a lot higher pace in terms of excursions and tours that were largely based on historical sites, museums, etc., which were fun but long days. This year they LOVED the few days we had in Venice first. We did a beach day one day (Mykonos) where my youngest was able to dive, and we did a day on a private boat (Corfu) with a BBQ and lots of snorkeling that was their favorite.

Excursions this year were definitely less $$ on the whole.

We traveled in June for both trips so I can’t comment on the weather in Greece in July.

Happy to answer any other comparative questions. I don’t think you can go wrong with either option, to be honest!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let the itinerary be your guide. Med and Baltic cruises are jam packed and its go go go every day. You'll be up early, do so much sight seeing, and fall exhausted into bed usually fairly early.

You are right, Greece will be hot. but the Baltic ports might be hot too. For this cruise your best bet might be to go with private tour operators rather than the ones through NCL. Also your roll call might be setting up tours and need to fill a mini van so you will get a better tour, fewer people and a better experience than being bussed around with 70 of your newest friends.

One big selling point for our kids on the most recent itinerary was the time in port. For Kotor and Santorini we had 2pm arrival times. Meant time for everyone to sleep in it have lunch, enjoy the ship, etc. Then we had as much time as we wanted - or not - in port. We did Kotor on our own for a few hours and did a 6 hour tour in Santorini. That was likely the longest day we had. In contrast, the Baltic cruise did have some long tour days (definitely worthwhile - but long). So it depends on what you want. My kids were all in for the long Baltic days - but then asked for something less intensive and more “vacation-y” for the next year. We had leisurely days in Venice and didn’t go nuts on any of our Adriatic destinations as a result. All depends on what you want......

Sent from my iPhone using Forums