airline question?????

csk

I am going to Alaska in June and found a great price on Alaska air from Anchorage to Chicago, and then I would continue on from Chicago to Cincinnati on Delta, my question, since I am traveling on two airlines, how do I check my luggage, can I check it all the way to Cinti in Anchorage or in Chicago do I have to go to luggage, claim it and then check in from Delta. I check all the time on orbitz for tickets see them selling multipe different airlines, so must be a way. Thanks for you information

Thanks for your input, yes Alaska and Delta air are partners, and I did call Delta, but the person on the other end did not know, the price is so good I think I am going to do it and just hope I can. Thanks

It doesn't matter if they are partners. "Retired not Expired" has it right that the key is a single booking. If the tickets are bought as a single booking, the bags can be tagged for final destination, even if the tag has to be hand-written. (But make sure to ask for the bags to be checked to final destination when you give them in at the check-in desk) I've traveled to about 90 countries, and the single booking is the real issue. The only time you would have trouble in this case would be with a really exotic airline -- typically a private airline -- but it would be very hard not to miss this. For example, in a few months I am going to Niamey (capital of Niger) via Bamako (capital of Mali). If I tried to do this as a continuous flight, using say Air France from Paris to Bamako and Air Senegal from Bamako to Niamey, I and my travel agent would both be well aware that I had better get my bags in Bamako, since the private airline Air Senegal would issue their tickets quite separately. On the other hand, I just recently flew to Bangkok via Beijing -- I had trouble getting a direct flight -- and while I had to pick up my boarding pass for the last leg inside the Beijing airport, I never gave a moment's thought about my baggage being checked all the way through. And it was.

I think Chicago will be able to handle the transfer of your bags.

Bill

There won't be a problem transfering your luggage between Delta and Alaska Air. It doesn't matter if you buy the tickets individually or together.

I've flown several times from Fairbanks to Anchorage using Alaska and then used Delta to fly to my destination from Anchorage. I've always booked the tickets separately and have never had a problem.

When you check in at Cinncinnati and they ask you your final destination, you just need to provide them with your flight information all the way to Anchorage (and of course, the reverse is true returning.) I always watch my luggage tags to make sure the agent has them coded correctly (whether or not I'm changing airlines).

Have a great trip!

Archived