Renting a car in Civitavecchia but dropping off in Rome

Ms_Her

I would like to rent a car for 5 people after my cruise and drive to Tuscany for a day and return the car rental in Rome. What is the best company to use- I don't want to pay a lot for a one-way rental. I also really do not want to drive to FCO to drop off the rental, is there a rental company Rome that will take the car back. Thanks for your assistance.

WOW! I have a few thoughts. Dropping a car inside the city of Rome can be a challenge. Despite having driven all over Italy the one place I do not like to ever drive is Rome. Besides the traffic you have to deal with avoiding the ZTLs unless you go through the procedures necessary to get clearance to drive in a ZTL. If you do drop in Rome, spend some pre-trip time reviewing maps and routes from outside Rome to your agency office. Or course a GPS will get you to the rental car office but you have to be sure that it doesn't take your through 1 or more ZTLs on your route. Illegally penetrating a ZTL will add at least 130€ to your rental car bill.

As to one-way rentals we would recommend checking several different major companies including Europcar, Hertz, Budget, and Avis. If you were keeping the car for 3+ days we would suggest checking with Autoeurope or Kemwil (they discount the majors) but those companies do not handle shorter term rentals.

Hank