Crib Request

Two Flowers

You can probably request cribs upon boarding, but it will be better for all to ask for them when booking your cruise. Children under two or three cruise free, paying only port and government fees, so it's not gonna cost you that much more.

You may want to bring your own!

Be aware that as recently as a few years ago, investigative reports showed that many of the hotels visited had cribs that were unsafe. Often they could fold accidentally and trap a childs head in the folding mechanism. Although the tourism industry did take steps to ensure that this issue was addressed, and not every hotel visited had unsafe folding playpens, I cannot assure that everyone has upgraded there equipment.

Data on Sudden Infant Death Syndrome shows that these horrible events often happen in an unfamiliar setting (i.e. during travelling). You don't have the same degree of control of temp, mattress firmness, pillow, coverings, etc.

My advice to my patients (I am a pediatrician) would be to pack their own for an infant, and seriously consider packing your own for an older child (as long as it was an approved one). Otherwise, clearly have them spell out the brand of the playpen and check online to see if there have been any recalls.

Please discuss this with your physician if you have any questions.

Tom Lacroix, MD, CM, FRCPC Paediatrics

Archived