Miracel Review 1/1/2006

BambiRumsey

Couple of questions...

Why did you not use the free Doubletree shuttle from port back to airport? Did you sign up for the shuttle time to port when you checked into Doubletree? Did they give any reason why it took so long to pick you up at airport? We are arriving Sat and staying at Doubletree. We won't arrive until 9:30 PM with our 3 kids (11,6, and 2), so I hope they won't make us wait an hour! How was the ride to the port? Did it leave on time, etc?

Glad you enjoyed it. This is our first cruise in almost 16 years (since our honeymoon) and first with kids.

The ride to the port was no problem at all. When you check in, tell the bell man you need a shuttle to the port the next day and they will put you on the list. The shuttles are comfortable but I think they only take 6 people at a time to the port to make sure they have enough room for everyone's luggage. When we arrived we signed up for the 11:30 shuttle and by 11:15 everyone signed up for that shuttle was there so we loaded up and left.

Didn't realize the Doubletree offered a free shuttle from the cruise port back to the airport. We had stayed there over a week ago and it did not dawn on us - are you sure they offer this? It sounds like an odd thing, you are no longer their guest.....The cab ride was $24 before tip. They had cabs that were mini vans too that would fit your entire family. For us it was worth it to just walk outside and get into a waiting vehicle rather than having to call someone and wait.

I think at the time we came in (mid afternoon on New Year's Eve) it was extraordinarily busy at the airport and the hotel being a holiday and there was a bowl game the next day. Perhaps they did not have enough drivers to accomodate the volume, I know the hotel was packed that night and they hosted three separate private functions in their ballrooms.

Coming home the airport was a zoo and our flight in particular was over booked with people returning to the DC area after the Redskins/Bucs game on the 7th.

Thanks for the review, Jennifer. My family and I were on the cruise with you. We had no complaints, and enjoyed ourselves very much. Due to timing, we did not get to meet with everyone the first day, but I think we saw Kay Renee a couple of times during the week! It looked like she was having a good time, too. I haven't been on a cruise since 1982 since I was on the NCL Starward. This was a very different experience for me. It was a first cruise for my husband and kids. The food was great, the ports were great, our excursions were great, etc. I was very pleasantly surprised with the size of our cabin. It was plenty big for 2 adults and 2 teenagers. We didn't do our excursions through Carnival, we booked them online after the suggestions of several CC members. We went to Stingray City with Captain Bryan in Grand Cayman. There were 16 of us on a 50 foot catamaran. Much less crowded, and much more individual time and attention. In Belize we did the Xtreme cave tubing. That was excellent also. We overheard someone on the Carnival cave tubing excursion complaining about all of the people, and how there were way too many people on their stingray excursion also. We are already looking to book another cruise!!!! I think we might be hooked.:) Thanks to everyone on this board for all the suggestions we read....we felt very well prepared.

Ruth

How did it work out with the sign and sail cards for your sons? Did they enjoy themselves?

Some on cruise critic posted that they used the service from the pier to the airport for free (basically you call and they come pick you up). When I booked I asked and they said yes they do offer that for free. So wtih 3 kids and a dh, I am looking for any way to cut corners! Maybe they don't "advertise" that they do that though. We got a govt rate of $84/night for the 5 of us without breakfast. We are stopping at Bruegers on the way to the airport to pick up bagels for breakfast instead. Or are there any restaurants (bagel shops) within walking distance?

nope, no lounge chairs on ours...there was room for one maybe but it would have taken up a large portion. We had two regular chairs that had a slight recline to the backs and a small table/foot rest.

The suites were located beneath our cabin and the chairs looked a little bit different, they may be the lounge type, the suite balconies looked to be about 50% longer (but same depth) as ours

We were also on the cruise Jan. 1st. I would consider it one of the best we have been on to date. The staff was friendly and helpful. We booked most of our excursion off the ship. We had great results. Small groups and individual attention. Also, less expensive.

We also got caught up in the embarkation problems. We arrived around 11:30 and got on the ship around 1pm. Debarkation was simple and low stress.

Scott

Archived