Disappointed with internet package on Infinity

dave.s

I just returned from a 5-night Western Caribbean cruise on Infinity. I purchased the "XCelerate High-Speed Internet" package online before the trip, which I think was $143 for a single device (you can use multiple devices, but only one at a time). It was awful, and I wouldn't recommend paying for it.

I purchased a package mainly because I wanted to be reachable, and I thought WiFi calling would be a better alternative to paying for shipboard cellular service. I also wanted to be able to access the web and e-mail. The XCelerate service is described as high speed and capable of supporting streaming video, but my experience was nothing like that. I found the connection dropped frequently, and when I was connected it was consistently very slow, making it very challenging to surf the web or even send/receive e-mail. The one time I tried to make a call over WiFi I was unable to.

If I knew how bad it would be, I would have just paid for one of the AT&T cruise packages, which would have probably been less expensive even if I exceeded the data allowances, and would have been more reliable. If your cell provider has a similar plan, I suggest you check it out before buying the Celebrity internet package.

12 minutes ago, dave.s said:

I just returned from a 5-night Western Caribbean cruise on Infinity. I purchased the "XCelerate High-Speed Internet" package online before the trip, which I think was $143 for a single device (you can use multiple devices, but only one at a time). It was awful, and I wouldn't recommend paying for it.

I purchased a package mainly because I wanted to be reachable, and I thought WiFi calling would be a better alternative to paying for shipboard cellular service. I also wanted to be able to access the web and e-mail. The XCelerate service is described as high speed and capable of supporting streaming video, but my experience was nothing like that. I found the connection dropped frequently, and when I was connected it was consistently very slow, making it very challenging to surf the web or even send/receive e-mail. The one time I tried to make a call over WiFi I was unable to.

If I knew how bad it would be, I would have just paid for one of the AT&T cruise packages, which would have probably been less expensive even if I exceeded the data allowances, and would have been more reliable. If your cell provider has a similar plan, I suggest you check it out before buying the Celebrity internet package.

I think using the words “high speed” is pretty inaccurate. I get around 250mb at home on average, not sure what it was when we were onboard but it drove me crazy it was so slow.