How to get to Westpunt or Lagun

beckylj22

We will be in Curacao on December 26. We've tried renting a car for the day, but haven't had any luck. We would like to do some snorkeling and have heard Playa Piskado or Playa Lagun are good places to see turtles. The problem is we don't know how to get out there. Google shows that the bus system isn't very good. A taxi sounds expensive. Are there cheap tours or private buses that go out that way from the port?

We are in a similar situation.  Getting a taxi would cost me a second mortgage!  We rented from budget at the hotel last visit, it was a disorganized experience that took up way too much of our time on the island.  We are heading back in January and i found http://www.advancecarrentalcuracao.com/

It seems to be a little old fashioned and my contact has been through email with the same gentleman.  He says he will meet us at the port with the car and a gps and a full tank of gas.  I have found reviews of this man and they are all very favorable.  We will see how it goes!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, imapost2003 said:

We are in a similar situation.  Getting a taxi would cost me a second mortgage!  We rented from budget at the hotel last visit, it was a disorganized experience that took up way too much of our time on the island.  We are heading back in January and i found http://www.advancecarrentalcuracao.com/

It seems to be a little old fashioned and my contact has been through email with the same gentleman.  He says he will meet us at the port with the car and a gps and a full tank of gas.  I have found reviews of this man and they are all very favorable.  We will see how it goes!

I contacted them and they don't do 1 day rentals the last couple weeks of December. That's what I'm finding with all of the places I have contacted.

On 12/11/2018 at 6:28 AM, imapost2003 said:

If possible, can you post after and let me know how it went? We are renting from them when we go in March. All of the reviews I have read seem very good also.

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2018 at 9:08 AM, Fritz said:

If possible, can you post after and let me know how it went? We are renting from them when we go in March. All of the reviews I have read seem very good also.

We are back.  Our advance car rental went great!  We got off the ship at 7:05, followed the clear directions provided in the email sent to us by advance.  Met as soon as we exited port area as promised.  Newer nissan versa 4 door, very clean, with gps and cell phone included.  Paid cash on the spot, was on the road in 10 minutes.  Was told to call 20 minutes before we returned to the port area with the included cell phone.  Everything could not have gone smoother.

5 hours ago, imapost2003 said:

We are back.  Our advance car rental went great!  We got off the ship at 7:05, followed the clear directions provided in the email sent to us by advance.  Met as soon as we exited port area as promised.  Newer nissan versa 4 door, very clean, with gps and cell phone included.  Paid cash on the spot, was on the road in 10 minutes.  Was told to call 20 minutes before we returned to the port area with the included cell phone.  Everything could not have gone smoother.

Sounds great. Where all did you drive to and did you have to fill the gas before returning the car?

Edited by Fritz

On 1/30/2019 at 5:31 AM, imapost2003 said:

We did, it's right down the street from the pier.  It was less than $10. There was an option for him to gas it up, but I dont recall the price.

We went to the grocery store, then cas abao.  Took about 45 minutes each way.

We're there any turtles over at Cas Abao and how was the driving there?  Those roundabouts look confusing.  I appreciate all of your help you have been giving.

On 2/2/2019 at 7:11 AM, Fritz said:

We're there any turtles over at Cas Abao and how was the driving there?  Those roundabouts look confusing.  I appreciate all of your help you have been giving.

Didnt see any turtles.  Driving was not a problem for me.  Locals do drive a little fast but you can just stay to the side and they will pass if necessary.  Roundabouts are a little tricky, they are 2 lanes, outer lane is for taking the next exit only.