First MSC cruise- questions

CruisingBeans

Are the check in times enforced?  What happens if we show up earlier? Is there a behind the scenes tour and if so where and when is best to book?  If you book an excursion from US site online prior do you incur a foreign transaction fee or is this only on board? Is it worth it to download app or get a bracelet- I’m a little leary cause the website is awful? Thanks so much for any info!

For us (on the Seaview) the check in times were pretty flexible but I think it just depends on what time you are trying to get on the ship.

On our ship there was a behind the scenes tour and you had to book it on board as they only did it on certain days.  I would go to the excursions desk as early as possible to get it booked as the line ups for excursions get very very long and who wants to spend time in a line up when you are on vacation. 

From the U.S. site if you book the excursions online before the cruise, the price is reduced by 20% and is charged in USD.  MSC USA charges in USD so there is no transaction fee.  Again book in advance to get the savings and not have to wait in lines on the ship.

The app was great for getting around the ship and also for booking specialty restaurants.  You can also see your online account on the ship so you can see any charges. You will also see your daily schedule with booked excursions in the app.   I  think it is worth downloading and free to use.

The bracelet cost $5 onboard our ship.  I think it was worth it as you could leave your room key (so you don't loose it) and go to the pool, bars, dinner, etc. and not need to worry about your keycard.  It can get wet and it is hard to loose. Also your power turns off in your room unless the keycard is left in the slot.  If you have a bracelet you can leave your card in the slot so that the power and a/c stays on so you can leave items charging, otherwise as soon as you pull they keycard out of the slot everything turns off in a minute or so.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CruisingBeans said:

Are the check in times enforced?  What happens if we show up earlier? Is there a behind the scenes tour and if so where and when is best to book?  If you book an excursion from US site online prior do you incur a foreign transaction fee or is this only on board? Is it worth it to download app or get a bracelet- I’m a little leary cause the website is awful? Thanks so much for any info!

I've read many times you can ignore you "allocated check in time"  we're sailing next week and will 100% be arriving before our 15:10 check in. 

Aiming to be there for 11ish 

32 minutes ago, CruisingBeans said:

Someone please remind me when cabins are usually ready on Seaside? Was it 2? I would like to be on board well before then as I expect check in to be busy around that time. 

2 is what i've read. You sailing the 29th? 

First time cruise with MSC also.