Renting a car in Kauai

tracy515

Hello!  We are looking to rent a car for 1 day in Kauai.  Can anyone help me to understand how this works?  And give recommendations as to which company to book from that will shuttle us from the cruise port to the car?  Thanks!

30 minutes ago, tracy515 said:

Hello!  We are looking to rent a car for 1 day in Kauai.  Can anyone help me to understand how this works?  And give recommendations as to which company to book from that will shuttle us from the cruise port to the car?  Thanks!

For your information Hawaii Car Rentals web page will address majority of your questions.

Can book thru that site or if Costco member can book rentals on their travel site web page.

• 3 weeks later...

We were out there about 2 years ago, took a shuttle from port to airport, made our reservation while we were on the shuttle, I believe we paid like $32 for the day. We did opt to pay $20 for the overnight parking, but overall, we loved it! We were able to explore at our leisure and cost wise was pretty cheap!

On 1/2/2019 at 8:57 AM, tracy515 said:

All companies will pickup at the port and shuttle you to their office. I used Dollar rent a car and booked through the Hawaiian discount cars website.

All the car rental companies run shuttles pretty much continuously, at least during the hours of most demand.    We waited about 15 minutes for ours, as I recall, but you do not have to make any special arrangements.   

43 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

All the car rental companies run shuttles pretty much continuously, at least during the hours of most demand.    We waited about 15 minutes for ours, as I recall, but you do not have to make any special arrangements.   

Thanks!  One more--is there a time when the shuttles stop running?  We may stay and have dinner on Maui the first night so it might be early evening before we return to the ship.  I think I have read you have to call a cab if the shuttles have stopped.

2 hours ago, Beachiekeen said:

Thanks!  One more--is there a time when the shuttles stop running?  We may stay and have dinner on Maui the first night so it might be early evening before we return to the ship.  I think I have read you have to call a cab if the shuttles have stopped.

Can't answer that one - never rented on Maui (except at the airport arriving by air), only Kauai & the Big Island.    Either call the office directly (not the nationwide number) or just ask the shuttle driver who picks you up initially.   

Edited by Kartgv

16 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

Can't answer that one - never rented on Maui (except at the airport arriving by air), only Kauai & the Big Island.    Either call the office directly (not the nationwide number) or just ask the shuttle driver who picks you up initially.   

Thanks!