Doing Chichen Itza on my own???

arlanamay

I reserved a Surburban so I can drive all 7 of us to Chichen Itza from Progreso. Has anyone done this? It doesn't look that complicated and it $325 less then if we went through Carnival. My husband speaks Spanish and the rental company is on the pier. Can we hire a guide when we get there? I've posted on the Ports of Call board and no response so I thought I'd give this one a try.

First Cruise!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Well, since no one has answered I will. It has been several years since we were there, but they always had guides there.

It is quite a distance from Progresso and not being a ships tour you will have to watch your time carefully so as not to miss the ship leaving port.

There are some ruins closer to Progresso which are great...I think they were at Uxmal.

A bad day at sea is better than a good day at work

26 cruises since 1964 -Proud member of O.A.T.C.

Queen Mary 2 Maiden Caribbean Voyage 1/31/2004

HAL Zuiderdam 3/27/2004

Carnival Miracle from Tampa 11/7/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;11;07;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We were able to hire a guide at Dzibilchaltun so I assume you will be able to do so at Chichen Itza also. However, as the earlier poster mentioned, I would be VERY careful about time. You only have about 7 hours if you are on the Glory. And you will need to add at least a hour to your trip if the rental car is not delivered/returned at the pier.

Dale

The rental car is at the pier. What is the time between when the people taking a ship excursions are let off and the ones not doing an ship excursion? We won't stop for lunch (I plan on getting sandwiches from room service).

First Cruise!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;23;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

As soon as the ship is cleared by the local authorities, anyone who wishes to may get off. It is only when you are in a tender port that you have to be concerned with those having booked excursions theough the ship havng priority.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

Thanks tef 43. I posted another topic about bringing sandwiches from room service with me, but it sounds like that is against the law. I thought that carnival gave out sack lunches while going on their Chichen Itza excursion. Oh well I'll figure it out.

First Cruise!!!

That depends on the port. Just as it is illegal to bring certain fruits and vegetables back into the US yourself.

What compounded the confusion is that a few months back, Cruise Critic posted your idea as a "tip of the day" not considering any foreign restrictions.

Tom <--- Curmudgeon of the Seas

imgcommentary_hackstone.jpg

bagpiper_piping_md_wht.gif

Eleven cruises so far. Up next:

Shhhh, it's a surprise!

The ruins are great there, if you have a great guide it will be a really great experience. It is the largest ruins I have been to. AS EVERYONE ELSE SAID BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL OF THE TIME. We went with a Carnival Tour and we got back with 20 minutes to spare, if we were late they would of had to wait for us, NOT SO on your own. If you are late you will have to incur the cost of meeting the ship at the next port.

Carnival Pride 8/17/02 (Western Caribbean)

Carnival Glory 8/21/2004 (Eastern) 30th Anniversary Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;8;21;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500CQclass.gif

I will tell you a little story regarding Chitzen Itza... We were on the Destiny (I think) about 4 yrs ago and Cozumal was one of the ports. I really wanted to go to Chitzen Itza but was told there was simply no way to do it from this port (at least if I wanted to sail home icon_smile.gif So we had the pursers office radio to shore and get hold of a travel agent. We were first off the boat (it seemed as though the whole crew was supporting this risky adventure!) whereupon we met A cab sent by the travel agency, which took us into town where we went to the agents office and paid (4 of us; around 80.00 apeice). Next the cab took us to a little run down airport to catch our flight into the jungle. We were a little worried when we saw that our plane was a "banana plane" (bright yellow 6 seater in well used condition). But when they told us we would be delayed for 10 minutes because thay had to call the pilot at home to wake him up, our concern grew a bit more icon_eek.gif And when our "pilot" actually arrived, he was all of about 20 yrs old icon_redface.gif But you know what???it was the adventure of a lifetime!!! We spent all day exploring these unbelievable ruins in 100 degree heat. And we then flew back to port in time to visit Carlos and Charlies and observe several dozen passengers drunk out of thier minds, carrying on in some pretty entertaining acts. (never can understand why so many people pay for a cruise to get drunk several times when they could do that at home???) Life is an adventure!! Take chances!!

Carnivale, Elation, Facination, Destiny, Paradise, Legend

I was a little concered about the time, but I think we will be alright. My husband, Mom and Dad are overly careful so the time won't get away. The rental car place seems to be good and right on the pier. I have a map of the area all ready and it looks very simple. If we mess up oh well we'll have to drive to Cozumel and I will have a story to tell of warning about goiing it alone.

First Cruise!!!

• 4 months later...

I used Yucatan Trails to take me and 5 others to Chitzen Itza from Pregresso. It was only $55 pp including the administion fees and a private guide. They met us at the pier in a van and it went off perfectly. It is a long drive, so make sure you get off the ship early and don't forget that Progresso is in Central Time. Chitzen Itza was cool and it took about 1 1/2 hours to see everything and climb the piramid. We just skipped lunch, but there are a few spots along the tour to get food.

Archived