Returning from Alaska--disembark time and Airport

babytraveler

Hi. Seeking info from all you experts.

If the ship (HAL Zandaam) docks at 7am, what time do passengers actually disembark? How far from dock to Seattle airport? What's the earliest flight I can book?

The latest flight home is 11am. I'm wondering if I have to book an additional night in Seattle...

Thanks as always!!!!

cross posting on HAL board...

Hi. Seeking info from all you experts.

If the ship (HAL Zandaam) docks at 7am, what time do passengers actually disembark? How far from dock to Seattle airport? What's the earliest flight I can book?

The latest flight home is 11am. I'm wondering if I have to book an additional night in Seattle...

Thanks as always!!!!

cross posting on HAL board...

Babytraveler:

I can't answer your first question based on personal experience, but from what I've read elsewhere, disembarkation depends on how soon the ship can be cleared by the Port of Seattle. If your latest flight home is 11 am, I would say that is cutting it close. It takes about a half hour from pier to airport if traffic is good, and if you are arriving on a weekday, traffic could be heavy. I think for your peace of mind, that you may want to schedule an extra day in Seattle. Because I know you are traveling with children, the Silver Cloud Inn on Lake Union is good for families, or so I've been told. There is a Westin, a Marriott, a Sheraton, and a Fairmont hotel all in downtown. In Seattle good kid venues are the Science Center, the zoo, and the aquarium.

I would NEVER want to 'hope' to make it from the ship to an 11am flight. There are just too many things that can delay you. We returned from one cruise and INS had sprung a surprise immigration check on our ships crew. NO ONE could leave the ship until every single crew member, including the captain had cleared INS. This caused a 2 hour delay for anyone leaving the ship. It was not the cruise lines fault - simply a random INS check, and nothing anyone could do but wait it out.

That's just one of the possibilities. There is also the problem of traffic in Seattle. I live here - believe me - it IS a problem!:mad: Also, I am familiar with the SeaTac airport so it's not intimidating to me at all, but I've heard enough out-of-towners who have had problems navigating the airport.

I really think it would be wise (and more fun) for you to book a night in a Seattle hotel for the day of your return from the ship, then you can relax and be leisurely on your last morning aboard. Then you will have fun in Seattle for the day, with many things to do.

Have fun!

Hikini:D

Thanks for the info. I was assured we could fly out that morning because ship docked so early, but since last flight is 11, I'd say we're having an extra day in Seattle.

Hi "Middle-Aged Mom." I agree. The kid(s) would probably love Seattle!

Yes, Babytraveler, you and your family should enjoy Seattle:) . I would recommend that you book your hotel sooner rather than later, and don't expect bargain prices. Summer is our peak tourist season here, and with all the cruiseline traffic, good rates on hotel rooms tend to disappear early.

Definitely agree, especially since you are travelling with kids, that you will want to stay an additional day. If it were just a case of "can I make the 11am flight because it is cheaper" rather than your case of "the 11am flight is the last flight of the day" I might say you could risk it, except that you have kids. But since it is the last flight of the day, stay an extra night and enjoy Seattle.

Archived