Best way to upgrade dining on Princess?

Alsmez

8 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Good thinking. Sounds like you've figured out the best way for you.

The problem with the MDRs...any of them (including Club Class)...is the noise level. One of the above posters talked about "quiet areas" in the MDRs. If they exist, I haven't found them. I have substantial hearing loss and wear hearing aids. They help, but I'm still mildly hard of hearing with them. I am unable to hear the conversations at our table. Even the person on either side of me is just unintelligible noise. If you eat in the MDR, your father will likely have a great deal of difficulty hearing as well.

BTW: hope you know to go to Passenger Services as soon as you board to sign up for the Chef's Table.:classic_happy:

Thank you for the guidance both on the MDR and the Chef's Table! My father also wears hearing aids (although it might be more accurate to say he "has" hearing aids, since he doesn't wear them much of the time), but even so his hearing is far from perfect. We may give the MDR one shot but the plan will definitely be to eat in specialty most of the time.

On 2/23/2019 at 5:31 PM, Alsmez said:

We are Celebrity cruisers but have been talking about going to Alaska on Princess for years. My parents (late 70s; we are early 40s) recently decided that they wanted to try cruising with us and have decided that Alaska is their destination of choice, so Princess it is! We are a family of foodies and DH and I have long since abandoned the MDR on Celebrity for Blu, Luminae or specialty dining packages, not only for the superior food but also for the flexible dining times, quieter, more intimate atmosphere, and better service these restaurants offer. My parents will definitely want the same, especially because my father is very hard of hearing. I was hoping Princess offered something similar, but it looks as though your only choices are to book specialty dining a la carte (though at a more reasonable cost than on X) or sail in a Club Class Mini-Suite or full suite to make the MDR a bit less hectic. Is there something I'm missing? Would very much appreciate your input! BTW, we will likely be doing a round trip out of Seattle on Ruby, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

I’ve read most of the responses and I would suggest getting a balcony cabin for Alaska just to be able to see the scenery as you are cruising.  I’ve done AK numerous times and seen whales etc just following the ship.  I really don’t think it will  be that cold as I’ve done both early and late season cruises up there with great weather.

For dining I do not find the MDRs noisey at all and although there are some nights I am not crazy about menu, the food is very good.  I usually do Crown grill once on a 7 day cruise and maybe twice on longer cruises.  Also get a table for just the 4 of you since your Dad has hearing issues.