PC dining and tipping?

A&G

Due to a bungle by TA/Princess we are about to experience PC dining on our 2/25 Diamond sailing. Let's say we dine at a different restaurant or have a different head waiter every night, what happens about tipping the head and assistant waiter at the end of the cruise?. Is that two tips we can delete from the account? If not how is the tip (on account) distributed to which waiter? How does the ship know which waiter(s) to send our tip to.

Alan

Due to a bungle by TA/Princess we are about to experience PC dining on our 2/25 Diamond sailing. Let's say we dine at a different restaurant or have a different head waiter every night, what happens about tipping the head and assistant waiter at the end of the cruise?. Is that two tips we can delete from the account? If not how is the tip (on account) distributed to which waiter? How does the ship know which waiter(s) to send our tip to.

Alan

First, don't worry. Leave the tips as they are. If you take the tips away, the people who take care you will lose their tips too. If you want to give somebody something extra, use bills. If you short the tips for anybody, the waiter have to make the difference.

Firstly, let me state that I am a great believer in the tipping system and usally tip extra. But I am not happy that the odd waiter here and there that may provide bad service gets an automatic tip because of the ships tipping system. I like to be the one that decides if I have recieved good service and how much I will tip because of it.

Further more unless cabin numbers are registered as you are seated in PC restaurants I doubt that the tip (on account) at the end of the cruise even gets to the waiter and is just extra revenue to Princess. Maybe somebody could advise on this point.

On cruisers we like to "bond" with our waiters and enjoy how they get to know us over the course of the cruise, our likes and dislikes and have them prempt our wishes, needs & desires. Treated like king and queen for a week or two. If it all works well they recieve the ships suggested tip plus much extra in cash. It is a game that both sides play and is called the tipping system. I just can not see that happening in PC dining when our waiters are different every night. You just have to look at the difference in attitude amongst waiters at dinner compared to the attitude of some/most waiters at breakfast and lunch. At breakfast and lunch they know they are not working hard for a tip or extra tip.

I am happy to be told I am wrong, wrong, wrong!!

Alan

Further more unless cabin numbers are registered as you are seated in PC restaurants I doubt that the tip (on account) at the end of the cruise even gets to the waiter and is just extra revenue to Princess. Maybe somebody could advise on this point.

On cruisers we like to "bond" with our waiters and enjoy how they get to know us over the course of the cruise, our likes and dislikes and have them prempt our wishes, needs & desires. Treated like king and queen for a week or two. If it all works well they recieve the ships suggested tip plus much extra in cash. It is a game that both sides play and is called the tipping system. I just can not see that happening in PC dining when our waiters are different every night. You just have to look at the difference in attitude amongst waiters at dinner compared to the attitude of some/most waiters at breakfast and lunch. At breakfast and lunch they know they are not working hard for a tip or extra tip.

I am happy to be told I am wrong, wrong, wrong!!

Alan

OK...when you get on board, make a standing reservation for the same time every night. You can even request the same table. Then, you'll have the same servers every night.

The auto tips are shared with more than the waiters...the cabin attendants, buffet staff, busboys, etc. all share in the tipping. I leave it on and consider it a cost of the cruise. I then tip extra for excellent service (I doubt I have ever left a cabin attendant disappointed!).

Enjoy your trip.

Archived