Paying to upgrade room with 3rd passenger

gatorclaws

I struggled to find a similar topic to ask this question in, but how are paid upgrades supposed to work when you've got a 3rd person in the room when it comes to the free additional guest promotions?

In my specific scenario, we're inside the penalty period. We originally booked a guarantee sail away rate with 3 people, so 3rd guest is paid for and not free. I saw a specific cabin I was willing to pay the upgrade for, which also includes the free perks. However, in trying to process the upgrade we were told the 3rd passenger is treated as a cancellation since they were a paid guest and would now be free under the promotion. The cancellation of the 3rd guest fare caused an additional $99 penalty ($399 * 25% penalty) beyond the total fare difference so we didn't do the upgrade. 

Does that sound right? I know sometimes you get a different answer depending on who you talk to so I want to make sure I got accurate information.

I do not know about sail away rates but I just did a regular upgrade

we were 2 weeks before our sail and I decided to change my MS to a different one

The total price was slightly lower but it was due to NCL lowering the price on the third person in the cabin

My PCC told me that at upgrade to a higher cabin I will pay the difference between first 2 persons fare and third person stays the same

Because the price on first 2 persons was the same on both cabins, my PCC (with approval from his supervisor) gave it to me as an one-time complimentary upgrade with no extra cost (perks stay the same)