Tipping on Shore Excusions

MDavis23

We had no idea waht to tip either so on our shore excursions this past November we just kinda watched to see what other people were tipping and followed suit-- our bus driver in Jamaica that took us out to the Appleton Estates got $5, our bus driver that took us to and from the stingray excursion got $2, the captain and his crew of the stingray excursion boat got $5, and the bus driver that took us out to Tulum mayan ruins in Mexico got $5. I have no idea if that's normal, like I say, we simply followed the lead of others on our excursions.

Yes that was for two of us -- not each. Also the bus ride to the stingray excursion was very short, no more than 10 minutes, whereas the bus ride out to Tulum and the Appleton Estates was a long ride, hence why those drivers received a bigger tip.

Hi, Just a warning for the cave tour in Belize... My family did this last year... if you wear glasses, expect to not be wearing them. My brother ended up being blind on the whole tour! They wouldn't let him wear them. And there are rocks that you need to avoid, that he couldn't see...so it made for a very unpleasant excursion for him.

Star - Could not wear glasses? How about if you use croakies to tie them down? That is what I planned on doing with my sunglasses.

You won't need sunglasses for cave tubing excursions;)

(I don't recall anyone wearing prescription glasses on our excursion, but I don't recall Junior or Timmy from Cave-Tubing.com saying leave them on the bus either.... definitely worth an e-mail or call to the excursion operator)

We are taking a cave tubing trip in Belize and a stingray trip in Grand Cayman. What is the typical tip provided? Do you base it on what you are charged? Some normal amount to be tipped? Thanks!

We usually tip the driver $2.00-$3.00 and the tour guide between $5.00 - $7.00. Alot depends on how much time we spend with them and also how good of service they provide. I did notice a lot of people don't tip at all.

Hmmm... I'm not sure about using a band to secure them. That might make a difference. But my brother said to the guy, I am blind without my glasses... and it didn't matter.

It makes for a funny story now... but he was miserable!

As far as the cave tubing goes, I thought that you were not always in the caves? Part of the trip is in the daylight as well as the 45 minute walk to the starting point. Maybe to be safe though I will purchase a $5 pair of sunglasses at one of the many, many, many places set up in our town. That way if they get lost it won't be such a big deal.

Archived