Ideas for gifts in Costa Rica

Leejnd4

DH and I will be leaving in about a month for our Wind Star cruise in Costa Rica. We have friends down there, a retired couple who chucked everything a few years ago and relocated to Costa Rica after they fell in love with it during a vacation. We'll be staying with them for a few days pre- and post-cruise, and they have developed a fabulous itinerary for showing us around.

I've asked her to send me a list of items she can't purchase down there, that I can bring for them. She did so, but she is insisting that we allow them to pay for it all! I completely understand how she feels -- I would probably say the same thing, and I will respect her wishes.

However, I would really like to give them something to show our incredible appreciation for all that they're doing for us. I was wondering if any of you who've been to Costa Rica might have any ideas of things that we can purchase here they might not be able to get down there. I thought of bringing a bunch of very American food items, but I know that they are both dedicated low-carbers (one of the items she's asked me to pick up is a particular brand of low-carb ketchup), and I'm not that familiar with low-carb diets.

Any ideas would be great -- any type of items. Thanks!

I'm so excited for this cruise -- my first Windstar experience! :)

Archived