Day trip to Coconuts in Cozumel

houcruzer

My darlin' bride and I are considering a trip over to Coconuts on Cozumel to eat, drink and watch the waves roll in.

- Has anyone ever gone there?

- Did you take a taxi from the cruise terminal and if so how much was the ride over and back?

- How long does it take to get there?

- Any other suggestions on transportation?

- I've heard that the beach there is more rugged but wondered if you could swim and possibly snorkle?

Any other thoughts about Coconuts would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance......HouCruzer

DW and I were there last week, we did not go to Coconuts, but were on a bus tour that passed by there. Coconuts is only 10 to 15 minutes from the cruise terminal (depending on where you tender), and can easily be accessed by taxi. The beaches there are more rugged that other parts of the island, there were a few people surfing because that side of the island has larger waves. Our tour guide told us that side of the island is best for surfing, the snorkeling we saw was on the other side where the ships dock.

I would not recommend renting a scooter - there were a few people on our ship who did, and ending up getting in an accident. Might want to consider renting a car or a jeep. I remember seeing quite a few rentals from Executive. Good luck.

I would recommend renting a car for the day, either online (there is a Hertz right in town) or when you get off there will be rental car guys there. There are about a half dozen fun little bars on the wild side that are fun to visit if you have a car. A taxi can take you also, but obviously won't wait around to take you to the next stop. Mexacalitos is fun too and their grilled shrimp are to die for!

Regarding snorkeling, a definite NO! Please don't try it! Its wicked surf and every year a couple people drown there trying to swim and snorkel. There are places where you can get in and its always fun to walk along the shore, but don't try swimming and snorkeling. The currents are surprisingly fast and dangerous. There are signs posted everywhere about not swimming. Now that I've scared you, it is BEAUTIFUL and not to be missed! Absolutely breathtaking, have a great time.

Archived