Millenium v Brilliance of the Seas?

mamaof2

Millenium v Brilliance of the Seas? I am planning on taking my parents (both 70) on the 12 night Mediterranean cruise. Can anybody tell: Brilliance of the Seas or Millenium? Also, the dates they could do it are May-June or September (early) or October. I cruised once with my mother on Jewel of the Seas and absolutely loved it. My father, however, never cruised. Need to add that they are from Russia and my father doesn't speak English so there will not be too much of socializing. Can anybody tell when is better to go - early summer or October and one ship v. the other or maybe the 3rd option - Princess, possibly? I would like them to have a great time. Thank you everyone who decides to answer.

You say that you have been on the JEWEL...which is a RADFIANCE class ship...the same as the BRILLIANCE. Have you also been on a MILLENNIUM class ship with Celebrity???

We have also been on the JEWEL and the SUMMIT and loved them both...but for different reasons. You are smart to take your cruise in either the Spring or the Fall...avoiding the heat and the crowds.

ROSS

I haven't sailed Millenium specifically but have sailed Infinity and Constellation. We love Celebrity's service and food, but for ship beauty, decor, layout and places to sit and relax, we love Brilliance. In fact, we've sailed her three times, most recently on a 12-night Med cruise. We would sail her again in a heartbeat and will have a tough time choosing between her and a Celebrity ship when we return to the Med, hopefully next summer. Others will have a different opinion, I'm sure, but if a Grand-class Princess ship is your other choice, I would recommend against it. We sailed the Grand Princess a few years ago and we didn't like the ship at all. It was definitely the lowest rated cruise of the ones we've taken.

We enjoyed our June Med cruise. The weather was perfect: in the low 70s to low 80s in every port with plenty of sunshine. The crowds were fairly light since it was early in the season.

Good luck with your choice and have a wonderful time on whatever ship you choose.

I think you've narrowed it down to two very good choices with Brilliance and Millennium...and just want to add, what a nice daughter you are:) We've been on Millennium and Radiance.... and I agree with Rick that I would base the decision on itinerary. I really enjoyed the Millennium itinerary in the Mediterranean - one thing that appealed to me was only having two sea days, but starting this year, they have added a third sea day and taken away Mykonnos on the Barcelona-Venice run.

Brilliance probably has the edge for being a nicer ship and you'll have the convenience of return flights in and out of Barcelona, but if you are interested in visiting Venice, then Millennium has the advantage.

We went in late Sept and the temperatures (mid 70's) were really comfortable for touring.

• 2 weeks later...

Brilliance is sister of Jewel and as more beautiful than Millennium. Millennium has the best service and excellent food. The shower is larger in the Millennium guest room (too tiny in the Brilliance). Some of the Millennium's public areas are a little more worn (such as missing hooks in the public bathroom); but the service and food make up for the wear and tear that one finds in this ship. Celebrity has the best service for this price-range cruise ship.

Where is the info regarding replacing Mykonos with a sea day? Just curious since I am taking the May 14/06 ed cruise from Barcelona to Venice. My TA has not mentioned this change in itinerary.

Any info would be appreciated.

Where is the info regarding replacing Mykonos with a sea day? Just curious since I am taking the May 14/06 ed cruise from Barcelona to Venice. My TA has not mentioned this change in itinerary.

Any info would be appreciated.

I responded to your post on the Europe board, but just curious as to why the info from your TA is different from what Celebrity is posting on their website? Would be interested in knowing which is correct since this is a significant change in the itinerary.

Millenium v Brilliance of the Seas? I am planning on taking my parents (both 70) on the 12 night Mediterranean cruise. Can anybody tell: Brilliance of the Seas or Millenium? Also, the dates they could do it are May-June or September (early) or October. I cruised once with my mother on Jewel of the Seas and absolutely loved it. My father, however, never cruised. Need to add that they are from Russia and my father doesn't speak English so there will not be too much of socializing. Can anybody tell when is better to go - early summer or October and one ship v. the other or maybe the 3rd option - Princess, possibly? I would like them to have a great time. Thank you everyone who decides to answer.

I have not been on Brilliance and I have no doubt that she is beautiful. I Changed lines a couple of years ago as I felt the standard not of service but generally there was cutting back.

I have been on Millennium and the itinary of Venice to Barcelona or visa versa is great. My favourite ports are Venice Santorini and most of all Dubrovinic. I just love these ports and have been in them numerous times but never tire of them. I have at lasy mastered the task of not getting lost in Venice. My sense of direction if woeful!

I think that the more gentile pace on Celebrity would be more suited to your needs. Not all the loud announcements and the standards of service plus refined dining are what make Celebrity the winner. I don't think that you would regret this choice.

Either time of year would be fine although I tend to favour the early summer. That may be because I am just dying to go travelling and I often have 2 cruises anyway so do the other later in the year and I may then go further afield. I am doing the T/A on Galaxy in May and I don't know if this is the best but I am on this occassion travelling on my own and the single supplement was very favourable so this was a great incentive. Also I just love the sea days and hope for sunshine and if it not then there is plenty to do on the ship. Have a great time and I am sure that your parents will love it.

Archived