stingray city - 1st time in grand cayman

spcruiser

I wanted to go to do a stingray excursion when we visited the Bahamas in 04 but we did not have a chance to - we are stopping at Grand Cayman on our cruise this March 06 and I wanted to do the stingray city tour - I was wondering do you get to feed the rays and are they really freindly enought to let you pet and hold them (I saw a picture on a website of a couple holding the rays) or do they just swim away once your food to give them is gone? My husband is not really into this excursion but I really want to try it so he is tagging along anything I can tell him that we have not read in our cruise description?

Well, the Stingrays are not there because of our charming personalities. :D Their interest in people is closely related to how hungry they are.

Yes, rays will sometimes swim right into your arms. More often the crew will pick them up first and then pass them off to the guests.

The rays are amazing! They swim around you and rub up against you as they "fly" through the water. They are as soft as a satin comforter! Here is a link to our pictures from our excursion on Captain Bryan's Buccaneer: http://community.webshots.com/album/530801710NJTzFf

I am willing to bet that your DH will thank you for taking him on this excursion. It is one of our top 2 in the Carribbean.

Have a wonderful time!

The rays are amazing! They swim around you and rub up against you as they "fly" through the water. They are as soft as a satin comforter! Here is a link to our pictures from our excursion on Captain Bryan's Buccaneer: http://community.webshots.com/album/530801710NJTzFf

I am willing to bet that your DH will thank you for taking him on this excursion. It is one of our top 2 in the Carribbean.

Have a wonderful time!

Wow, awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing. What ship were you on? Your balcony looked terrific. :)

Wow, awesome pictures. Thanks for sharing. What ship were you on? Your balcony looked terrific. :)

We were on Splendour of the Seas. Had a marvelous time, as you can tell from our photos!

Glad you liked my pictures. :)

Just be careful of your times. I had wanted to book privately, but it would only give me 1 hour to get off the ship and meet them. Carnival lets people who are doing their excursions off first. That, combined with being even a few minutes late getting to Grand Cayman made me a little too nervous. I was told by a friend to just "be pushy" and demand to get off in time, but that's not a strength for me.:(

Someone else posted on the board that they were running late and their tour left without them. So, because of time constraints and tendering, I'm going with the ship tour. Maybe I'll hide extra squid in my bathing suit to get the little rays to come over.

Cozumel is a different story. We're booked to snorkel with Eagle Ray Divers and can't wait......

Just be sure to check your tendering times. :cool:

We were on Splendour of the Seas. Had a marvelous time, as you can tell from our photos!

Glad you liked my pictures. :)

We have an aft balcony on our April cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas. We only go to KW and Coz, though. We have to wait until November for our Radiance cruise to GC. Really looking forward to snorkeling with the stingrays. We did this in Belize and it was cool. I understand GC is even better.

Thanks again.

We have an aft balcony on our April cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas. We only go to KW and Coz, though. We have to wait until November for our Radiance cruise to GC. Really looking forward to snorkeling with the stingrays. We did this in Belize and it was cool. I understand GC is even better.

Thanks again.

Shirley, GC is soooooooooo much better than Belize for stingrays!!!! We did both last cruise, and although the Belize excursion was well run, the stingrays there are no where near as plentiful or as friendly as in GC. I suggest that you take one of the private excursions mentioned on this board. Our first cruise we went through the ship and had a great time doing the one stop. This time we did 3 stops on the Buccaneer http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/Stingray_City_Buccaneer_Excursion.htm. Fantastic!!!

Have 2 great cruises!

Shirley, GC is soooooooooo much better than Belize for stingrays!!!! We did both last cruise, and although the Belize excursion was well run, the stingrays there are no where near as plentiful or as friendly as in GC. I suggest that you take one of the private excursions mentioned on this board. Our first cruise we went through the ship and had a great time doing the one stop. This time we did 3 stops on the Buccaneer http://caymanislandsdiscounts.com/Stingray_City_Buccaneer_Excursion.htm. Fantastic!!!

Have 2 great cruises!

Hi, Sheffie. I already contacted the Buccaneer people and, I find this hard to believe but, they say they are already sold out for our day in November! So we are looking at doing the 2 stop on the Hannibal. I'm also going to contact some of the other operators listed here so we can see what options we have. We don't get to GC until 10 am and then have to tender in, so it puts some limitations on morning departure times for us. Thanks for the information!

Archived