Visit Delos on own

orchards

We will be stopping in Mykonos in October on a cruise and plan to walk around Mykonos and visit Delos.  Is Delos convenient to do without ship's tour or tour by one of many private companies? I was told there is a water taxi that runs frequently from town and not too far from the cruise port and that you can readily get a guide once you get off at Delos? Any comments on ease and timing of this water taxi and guides? Estimated costs?

There is a ferry that runs a set schedule between Mykonos and Delos; it only runs a few times a day and less often in low tourist season. The ferry offers the option of just transportation over and back OR transportation plus a guided tour. I have no idea whether you can pick up a guide on the fly if you do not pre-book. I don't recall seeing guides hanging around the dock but then I wasn't really paying attention.

The ferry site is here:  https://www.delostours.gr/en/

I don't really think there are a lot of private options for transport -- either ship or ferry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

There is a ferry that runs a set schedule between Mykonos and Delos; it only runs a few times a day and less often in low tourist season. The ferry offers the option of just transportation over and back OR transportation plus a guided tour. I have no idea whether you can pick up a guide on the fly if you do not pre-book. I don't recall seeing guides hanging around the dock but then I wasn't really paying attention.

The ferry site is here:  https://www.delostours.gr/en/

I don't really think there are a lot of private options for transport -- either ship or ferry.

• 2 weeks later...

The ferry is the only DIY way to get to Delos from Mykonos. 

Schedule can be found on the website that was mentioned. Tickets can be prebooked, but have to be picked up at their counter the day of. Cost was 20€ pP 2 or 3 years ago.

there are some guides on the island that will provide narration. I think they charged 10€ pP, and tried to assemble a group of 10 people or so. There is also a small entrance fee to the archeological zone on the island, but I don’t remember how much (as students from a EU country, we could enter for free). 

Pay attention to when the return ferries are leaving once on the island. When we were there, they canceled the last ferry in the afternoon due to high winds, so try to catch one of the earlier ferries in order to have enough time on delos. Also, the ride over can be quite rocky, just sth to keep in mind. 

Delos itself is great and definitely worth the trip. If not hiring a guide, make sure to read beforehand or bring a guide book. While there are a few explanation posts around, they are few and far between. And make sure to check out the beautiful mosaics! 

• Thanks 1

If you are really interested in doing Delos on your own, this pocket guide is invaluable:  https://www.amazon.com/Mykonos-Delos-Mcgilchrists-Greek-Islands/dp/1907859039/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=Delos+guidebook&qid=1567777931&s=books&sr=1-10

Although it purports to cover both Mykonos and Delos, at least 3/4 of the book is on Delos and allows you to wander on your own while still having all the necessary information to enjoy and discover the site. As someone who prefers a good wander with a solid guidebook to a guided tour, I highly recommend it.

• Thanks 1