Don't want to be a chair hog!!

Tiger Shark

I've been reading almost obsessively on these boards and I've learned so much, but I do have a question about deck chairs. If DH and I both want to swim, and we don't want to be seen as "chair hogs";), where do we put our stuff? You know, towels, book, travel mugs.

I did see that someone had the idea to put a note on the chairs with the stuff saying what time we had left and that we wouldn't be gone longer than 30 minutes, but I don't know if everyone will go along with that.

We just want our first cruise to be as relaxing and enjoyable as possible. We don't want to be wondering if our stuff is going to still be where we left it when we get out of the pool. Where can we put it that will not upset anyone?

The best way to be sure you don't lose your chair is just to be sure to leave several things there -- nothing of value, but items that clearly indicate the chair is in use and not "saved" for future use. (Your towel, a book, sandals, tote bag, sunglasses, etc, all left directly on top of the chair, not the table next to it.) And even more important, check back with your chair regularly -- don't leave it unchecked for longer than 20 minutes. At the busiest times, you will find some people watching the clock, and pouncing on any chair that's been left alone for 30 min. or more.

While there is some disagreement as to what constitutes a chair hog, most agree that people who leave their chairs to go swimming are NOT chair hogs. The classic chair hog is someone who ventures out of their cabin at sunrise to toss items on chairs (a flip on one, a flop on another) to save them for later, then go back to sleep for a couple hours, have a leisurely breakfast, go for a massage, and show back up five hours later expecting that chair to be left open for them.

Some people feel that once a chair is vacated for anything other than a quick swim, it is no longer theirs and they can lay no claim on it. I personally don't subscribe to that rigid a definition -- I think that if you are going to be back at your chair within about 20 minutes, no matter where you are going (swim, bathroom, grab a snack, whatever) then you have a right to leave your stuff there and come back to your chair. But if you are going to leave the pool area for a longer time, like to have a sit-down lunch or go for a massage or whatever, then that chair should be made available to the people who are actually using the pool area.

I will admit to being one of those people who has sat on the sidelines and waited to see if saved chairs were really in use. If I see a chair with just a book or a flip flop on it that nobody has checked in an hour, I'll happily hand the item to the pool attendant and set up shop. I've only had one encounter with a returning chair hog -- a couple gals who showed up hours later and had an absolute tizzy. I just ignored them, and they eventually went away.

Just remember to follow the golden rule, and you'll do fine. :)

Archived