Fabric/textiles?

Lookn4Sun

Hi!

When I travel, I like visiting fabric stores to look at locally made fabrics, or just for styles I can't get at home, and would love to get something in Belize.  I went to a fabric store via bus in Nassau, and got some Androsia batik fabric, as well as some types I just can't get at home. BTW ... the bus was cheap and quite the experience.

If it makes a difference when answering these questions - I'm a solo middle-aged woman traveler; walking is fine, and comfortable taking buses or taxis on my own; in Nassau I got feedback that the route was about 15 minutes through safe parts of town, which all turned out to be true. 

If anyone has information, can you help me with these questions:

What about going to Mikado textiles - is this a safe walk from the port? Is it even walkable? 

I wouldn't mind finding a reputable place to get Mayan cloth as well (or instead) - is there a local artisans shop that might have this (that's outside the port)? I would want to be sure that the majority of what I'm paying goes back to the artisan, if at all possible.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mikado on Albert Street is very walkable.  Just turn left out of the Tourism Village (tender pier) and walk to the swing bridge, cross and you'll be heading down Albert Street.  You can also look in the craft fair area across from the Tourism Village or at Brodies, which is a large department/general store on Albert.  And there are some craft shops along that street as well.

• Like 1

Looking4Sun,

This is also my passion.  I also live in Belize. I would skip Mikado as it is just plain cotton and fabric imported from Mexico that you would not be interested in at all.  You can buy the same thing at JoAnn's.  BUT I would definitely look for the Guatemala ladies to see if they happen to have any embroidered unfinished or woven pieces that you could incorporate into a larger piece.  We have to go to Guatemala to buy their fabric as there is no outlet for it in country. 

It is possible if you do go to Mikado you could possibly find some cotton prints that would be symbolic of the Garifuna dashiki, but again, you can still find that at JoAnn's.

Enjoy your stay.

Janice

On 11/22/2019 at 10:02 AM, Pssunshinegal said:

. I would skip Mikado as it is just plain cotton and fabric imported from Mexico that you would not be interested in at all.  You can buy the same thing at JoAnn's.  BUT I would definitely look for the Guatemala ladies to see if they happen to have any embroidered unfinished or woven pieces that you could incorporate into a larger piece.

Thanks Pssunshinegal - this sounds a lot more like what I'd be interested in! Is there a specific market, or area, that the Guatemala ladies usually set up shop?

Possibly Crewsweeper can give you a better idea of how to get to the area where the locals have set up a craft area.  When I go to Belize City I stay as far away from the tourist area as possible so I am not quite sure where this area is located now.  What other ports will you have in addition to Belize?

Janice

Not sure where the Guatemala ladies specifically set up, but the craft fair is directly across the street from the Tourism Village, tender pier. The people are very nice (ignore the excursion hawkers outside the area).  And if you ask they may direct you.  I know prices for the wooden bowls , etc. are cheaper than the port and of good quality.

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 4:15 PM, Lookn4Sun said:

Thanks Pssunshinegal - this sounds a lot more like what I'd be interested in! Is there a specific market, or area, that the Guatemala ladies usually set up shop?

12 hours ago, Pssunshinegal said:

Possibly Crewsweeper can give you a better idea of how to get to the area where the locals have set up a craft area.  When I go to Belize City I stay as far away from the tourist area as possible so I am not quite sure where this area is located now.  What other ports will you have in addition to Belize?

Janice

On 11/26/2019 at 6:43 AM, crewsweeper said:

the craft fair is directly across the street from the Tourism Village, tender pier. The people are very nice (ignore the excursion hawkers outside the area)

Thanks so much! I'll ignore the excursion hawkers and concentrate to getting to the craft fair.