Our South America Cruise - 22 Jan 2006

dileep

Wow... great review, wonderful pictures...

We're booked on the Infinity for the same cruise on January 14 2007!! After reading your review, it will be hard to wait 10 months...

I was debating whether is was feasible to go to Iguazu before the cruise... now I feel we can do it!

Thank you for sharing your experience and also your tips and tour operators with us!

I was debating whether is was feasible to go to Iguazu before the cruise... now I feel we can do it!

Iguazu Falls are a must see. We gave up a day and half in BA to go up to Iguazu and were glad that we did!

I enjoyed reading your reviews. I'm going to book a cruise to South America in 2007 and I want to know about the fee in Chile. I heard it was $100.00 per person. Is that true?

If you fly into Chile you pay $100 per person. If you arrive in Valparaiso on a cruise ship (actually you enter Chile in Punta Arenas & Purto Montt before that), there is no fee. I think that Buenos Aires to Valparaiso is a better cruise than the reverse direction anyway. What upu will give up is a free night on the ship in Buenos Aires, but you can get a nice hotel for less than $50 per person!

Book Buenos Aires to Valparaiso in January and have a great time!

If you fly into Chile you pay $100 per person. If you arrive in Valparaiso on a cruise ship (actually you enter Chile in Punta Arenas & Purto Montt before that), there is no fee. I think that Buenos Aires to Valparaiso is a better cruise than the reverse direction anyway. What upu will give up is a free night on the ship in Buenos Aires, but you can get a nice hotel for less than $50 per person!

Book Buenos Aires to Valparaiso in January and have a great time!

Thanks so much for the info. I am planning to book with Holland America on the Rotterdam. We'll get on the ship in Rio de Janeiro (after a few days pre-cruise) and sail around the Horn and proceed to Chile.

Thanks so much for the info. I am planning to book with Holland America on the Rotterdam. We'll get on the ship in Rio de Janeiro (after a few days pre-cruise) and sail around the Horn and proceed to Chile.

We really like Celebrity, but it is your choice. Make sure that you take time before the cruise to fly to Iguazu and see the falls from both the Brazilian and Argentinian sides. You will have the Brazil visa anyway, and you do not need a visa for Argentina.

I will do that. I heard it was great. Thanks for the tip. I like Celebrity too. We're going to Alaska with Celebrity on June 4. First a 6-day tour and then on the Summit on June 10. I've never sailed on Holland America, but we don't enjoy a ship with too many children and Holland America is supposed to cater to Seniors, plus that's the only ship that has Rio included in the itinerary. That bus accident in Chile really upset me. My husband didn't even want me to book the trip. What a shame.

I've never sailed on Holland America, but we don't enjoy a ship with too many children and Holland America is supposed to cater to Seniors, plus that's the only ship that has Rio included in the itinerary.

The Rotterdam is my favorite ship... it's HAL flagship (along with the Amsterdam) and is quite different from the larger Vista Class ships. Its smaller size is perfect for such an itinerary. It's very classy, food was outstanding and service was top notch. Cabins are also very comfortable. Library is stocked with magazines, books, and reference material and is a great place to sit, relax while browsing through National Geographics and sipping a coffee...

We've booked on the Infinity for next January, but my preference would have been to do the itinerary on the Rotterdam, first because of the ship, and second because it starts from Rio, but I can't be away from work this long... So I envy you very much. But Celebrity is also a great cruiseline, and I know we will also have a fabulous time...

MC:)

The Rotterdam is my favorite ship... it's HAL flagship (along with the Amsterdam) and is quite different from the larger Vista Class ships. Its smaller size is perfect for such an itinerary. It's very classy, food was outstanding and service was top notch. Cabins are also very comfortable. Library is stocked with magazines, books, and reference material and is a great place to sit, relax while browsing through National Geographics and sipping a coffee...

We've booked on the Infinity for next January, but my preference would have been to do the itinerary on the Rotterdam, first because of the ship, and second because it starts from Rio, but I can't be away from work this long... So I envy you very much. But Celebrity is also a great cruiseline, and I know we will also have a fabulous time...

MC:)

Wow, what a great write up on the ship. Thank-you. Well I guess it pays to be retired and not have to worry about work. Our only worry is our Birds. I have 3 and never book a trip without asking my Bird-Sitter if she's available. I saw the trip on the Infinity (leaving Jan 14, for 14 nights) and we were going to fly to Rio, then fly to Buenos Aires, but we have a terrible time dragging our luggage around. When I saw the Rotterdam, I was thrilled. And now after your comments I'm happy I did. Have a great trip.........

I've never sailed on Holland America, but we don't enjoy a ship with too many children and Holland America is supposed to cater to Seniors, plus that's the only ship that has Rio included in the itinerary. That bus accident in Chile really upset me. My husband didn't even want me to book the trip. What a shame.

We think that the lack of programs for children on Celebrity is a feature that keeps them away :D

There were no dangerous bus journeys on the Souith America cruise!

We think that the lack of programs for children on Celebrity is a feature that keeps them away :D

There were no dangerous bus journeys on the Souith America cruise!

You're right, I've only been on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. I loved the Vision of the Seas, but too many young kids. I'm 59 and my husband is 65 and we like traveling with our peers. We once had an issue where we were put at a dinner table with a couple traveling with children. Ever since that we ask for a table for two, unless we are traveling with a group. Have you ever been to "The Bar at the Edge of the Earth"? I read that they have one on the Summit and the Constellation. It looks kind of strange to me, but I'm curious.

I'm 59 and my husband is 65 and we like traveling with our peers. Have you ever been to "The Bar at the Edge of the Earth"? I read that they have one on the Summit and the Constellation. It looks kind of strange to me, but I'm curious.

We are in our mid-late fifties too. Yes, we have experienced that Bar on the Constellation. It was "decorated" for the Cirque du Soleil experience. Now that they do not have that show, may be they will revert back to the standard set up like the one on the Millennium.

You will get some idea of what it looks like at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/intowines/album?.dir=3169&.src=ph

I have other pictures that show the room better backed up somewhere.

We are in our mid-late fifties too. Yes, we have experienced that Bar on the Constellation. It was "decorated" for the Cirque du Soleil experience. Now that they do not have that show, may be they will revert back to the standard set up like the one on the Millennium.

You will get some idea of what it looks like at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/intowines/album?.dir=3169&.src=ph

I have other pictures that show the room better backed up somewhere.

Wow, you two look great. Looks like a fun place. I'm going to pack my masks. We bought them about 20 years age. They light up with little batteries.

I have not done this before and therefore have no idea how well this will work.

I have uploaded a 1 hr and 8 minute (321 MB) Windows Media Video file at

http://www.archive.org/details/DileepBhandarkarSouthAmericaCruise

If you have a broadband connection try it. You can either watch it in real time or download the large file to your PC and then watch it at your leisure.

If this works and I get positive feedback on this thread, I will post smaller files for each of the ports for our 22 Jan 2006 Celebrity Millennium cruise from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso.

Enjoy!

Easiest way to download is to click on the HTTP link on the bottom left corner in the Download box. That will open up a window showing 5-6 files. Right Click on the WMV file and select Save Target As the option and save the file on your computer.

Let me know if it works.

http://www.archive.org/details/SouthAmericaPenguins

Taken during our Jan 22 cruise on the Celbrity Millennium in Puerto Madryn (Punta Tombo), Falkland Islands (Gypsy Cove), and Punta Arenas (Seno Otway).

Easiest way to download is to click on the HTTP link on the bottom left corner in the Download box. That will open up a window showing 5-6 files. Right Click on the WMV file and select Save Target As the option and save the file on your computer.

Approximately 200 MB.

http://www.archive.org/details/IguazuFalls

about 65 MB. As seen from the Argentinian side only! Download to your computer and watch this amazing sight!

http://www.archive.org/details/SouthAmericaPenguins

Works best if downloaded to your computer. Given the big file, it may take a while!

http://www.archive.org/details/IguazuFalls

Works best if downloaded to your computer. Given the big file, it may take a while!

Archived