Best Hotel in San Juan for Scooter Use

lesliekamm

We are hopefully heading out to San Juan in October and after reading the posts about the streets and hardship of Old SJ, I am wondering what hotels would be best for a scooter user with a severe brain injury?  My son doesn't have the ability to make smart decisions so I don't want to risk him falling over while trying to go down a steep hill.  (the first day he got his scooter he was doing donuts and rolled it, lol).  Any suggestions?  I am guessing somewhere not in Old SJ?

We stayed at Doubletree by Hilton San Juan, 105 de Diego Avenue, San Juan and took a taxi to the ship. I do not remember what I paid for a taxi, regardless, I felt it was reasonable. I use a small scooter, thus we did not require an “accessible” taxi. If you require an “accessible” vehicle, just mention to whoever calls for taxis.

Sailing on Royal Caribbean, you will probably depart from Pan American Pier, thus not near the Old San Juan down-town area. There are a number of hotels in the Old San Juan area, but I am not familiar with any of them. When we sailed from Pan American Pier, the ship had an evening sail-away which allowed people time to see some of Old San Juan before the cruise.

In Old San Juan, I believe the trolley has space for one mobility device, however I have not ever used it. We scooted everywhere on our own. The sidewalks have cutouts with some in strange places. Yes, one has to pay attention when riding on those sidewalks. Most are rather high and in some areas rather narrow. If you stay in the main area shopping area of old San Juan, should not have any problems. You would also be able to get to Castillo de San Cristóbal (fort) without any problems. If you have an American Parks Pass, that can be used for free entry.

The map below is about the best I have found for old San Juan (across the harbor from where you will board the ship).

Have a wonderful cruise,

Betty

San Juan map 2019.jpg