4 nights post cruise from Whittier

jmarks

We will be leaving our ship in Whittier on June 27, and plan to return either Sunday July 2 or the following day. After reading these posts, we decided to book the cruise only and do our own thing afterwards. We're used to traveling on our own via the B&B route in Ireland, so I think it will suit us. I'd love any suggestions for what to do. Priorities are: Saltwater fishing, Denali, buying local art; (paintings, sculptures, pottery, etc.) that is not mass produced. We will fly in and out of Seattle, and haven't booked any connections yet. Thank you for all of the ideas posted so far!

So you have 5 days??? I'll assume back to back cruises?? If you want both your priorities, I suggest you rent a round trip Whittier car, only 2 venders- Avis and Harley's, set up that reservation now. I would head directly to Seward, do your fishing, over night, then head to Talkeetna, overnight, Denali Park for 2 nights. Back to Anchorage.

If of interest. I would also suggest 2 nights in Seward and take in the top attraction a Kenai fjords boat tour, one that is back by afternoon, then the Talkeetna Drive- 5 hours, or overnight in Anchorage and direct to Denali Park the next day. Direct to Whittier from Denali Park with a morning departure, allow 7 hours.

In Denali Park, get the SHUTTLE bus to Fish Creek, you have time for some other activities if of interest. Don't be in a rush to get back on the ship. I would look for the 5-6pm tunnel opening, so you have all day for touring.

Sorry, I guess I didn't explain myself well. We will be returning home after our land tour, and will have 5 days to travel after getting off the cruise ship in Whittier. Your suggestions are helpful so far; but we will need to get to Seattle for a flight out on our last day. Thanks.

Archived