Rental Return/Port of Miami??

NYCruiseMom

Hi everyone...I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to return a rental car at the port. we're flying in the night before our cruise, and staying in Hollywood, FL. So we'll need to get from the airport to the hotel and then the next morning from the hotel to the port. It might be cheaper to just do a rental car, IF there's a place at the port I can return it.

Anyone know??? :confused:

Last year my family and I flew into Ft.Lauderdale and rented a car from Dollar rent a car at the airport then returned it the next day at the Miami airport location, they have a shuttle that takes you to the cruise dock area.

On the return from the cruise they picked us up and did the same in reverse.

We rented a van because 4 passengers and alot of luggage.

I dont believe there are any Rental car places at the port.

Have Fun,

Scott

The major car rentals have a shuttle to the pier. It is definitely the way to go.

Are they all at the airport though? I'm just picturing that as being a major hassle for us. We're two single moms traveling with three kids and a ton of luggage. Right now I'm thinking of getting a limo to pick us up, take us to the hotel, come back the next morning to take us to the port and then pick us up for our return flight home. It's $300 including all fees, tips, parking, etc.

And..we're traveling next week, President's Week. Will there even be any rentals available?? I know I went through hell trying to find a hotel (wound up getting one in Hollywood).

There is at least one other thread dealing with this issue, do a search for it. From what I remember no one had a return AT the port. We used Alamo from FLL to Miami last year one way, the everything cost about $80 for an upgraded SUV. The return is NEAR the airport not actually AT the airport so it wasn't too bad. We are a family of five, used a cart to get the luggage from the car to the shuttle. From there the shuttle driver helped with all our bags and then the porter took over so it was pretty simple. I found the best prices and availability through the car rental agency's own website.

I have a reservation upon return with Thrifty from their location at 2875 NW 42nd ave which is their "cruise ship" location. They will send a shuttle for pick up. I was able to get an SUV for $35 plus taxes with a drop off at Fort Lauderdale that evening. Check their web site.

We used Alamo from FLL to Miami last year one way, the everything cost about $80 for an upgraded SUV. .

CORRECTION: It was about $80 for BOTH of our 1-way rentals. $40 for the car coming from FLL to MIA, had it overnight. And $40 from MIA to FLL for about 8 hours.

CORRECTION: It was about $80 for BOTH of our 1-way rentals. $40 for the car coming from FLL to MIA, had it overnight. And $40 from MIA to FLL for about 8 hours.

Okay..you guys got me all psyched to do the car rental thing, figured I rent a mini van or SUV to fit the five of us and our luggage. Well...I should have known, there are NO cars to be found next week!! :( I'm gonna keep trying, but I went to four different rental places online yesterday.

Okay..you guys got me all psyched to do the car rental thing, figured I rent a mini van or SUV to fit the five of us and our luggage. Well...I should have known, there are NO cars to be found next week!! :( I'm gonna keep trying, but I went to four different rental places online yesterday.

Try sidestep, expedia or one of the other online services. Occassionally they can get a car when the other show booked. May cost a little more though.

If you don't have your rental for that week already, it will be a miracle if you get one, and if you do, they will charge you double what the average rate would be. We rent a lot of cars and the one time we had to do it over a school vacation week it was three times what we usually pay. I would look into a limo and save yourself the hassle.

You will be hard pressed to find a rental car for that week. If you do, it will be twice as much as normal, so your best bet may still be the limo. That is a very busy week in Florida. It would be best if whatever plan you are going to use is put in place ASAP. Is there any special reason you are staying in Hollywood? You could try and stay somewhere that has an airport shuttle and that would save you the cost of the trip from the airport to hotel. You could then have a van or limo take you to the port. Good luck and try to cause yourself the least amount of stress possible.

You didn't say what airport you were coming in to but I did a quick look from Ft. Lauderdale. There were almost no cars from any agency and the ones that were there were going for about $90-110 for a return to the Miami airport. From there a cab is about $20.

That is a very busy week in Florida. It would be best if whatever plan you are going to use is put in place ASAP. Is there any special reason you are staying in Hollywood?

It was the only hotel we could find in the area that week (that didn't cost $300+ a night). As you said, it's a tough week to try to get reservations.

Archived