Traveling with prescrition medication

Big Spanker

I have recently been issued a number of perscription medications that I must take . Having never traveled with them before I have a few questions? Can I just travel with my medication in carry on luggage in its perscrption bottles that list perscription number doctor etc? Do I need a doctors written perscription on me? Also I would like to seperate some of the medication say leave enough in checked luggage and enough in my carryon in case something is lost or stolen. Enough in both to cover my trip and then some. These are not pain killers, just blood pressure medication. Note I only have to take it once a day and will only take in my cabin on the ship. Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards

DeanHamy

Pack in your carry on and not checked luggage. You can keep it in the original bottles or in a daily dispenser. Remeber to always pack a few extra in case of travel delays. You should have no problems, I have brought my meds with me every cruise.

I have recently been issued a number of perscription medications that I must take . Having never traveled with them before I have a few questions? Can I just travel with my medication in carry on luggage in its perscrption bottles that list perscription number doctor etc? Do I need a doctors written perscription on me? Also I would like to seperate some of the medication say leave enough in checked luggage and enough in my carryon in case something is lost or stolen. Enough in both to cover my trip and then some. These are not pain killers, just blood pressure medication. Note I only have to take it once a day and will only take in my cabin on the ship. Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards

DeanHamy

Definitely carry your prescription meds with you in their original bottles. This way, just in case you have a reaction to something while on vacation, any attending physician will know what medication you are taking. I see no problem having some of your medication in your checked baggage either. You may want to get another written prescription to carry (give it to someone else traveling with you) just in case your carry-on gets misplaced. Take your medications whenever and wherever you need to. There are no restrictions on where you can take medication. I take all of mine to the dining room with me to take with breakfast.

Dean,

My mom is a diabetic & will be traveling with her medicine the end of this month. I called Carnival & asked them about this & the only thing they wanted to know was if my Mother needed a fridge in the room(which she doesn't) She also wanted to know if it involved needles(which it doesn't) When I said no to both of these, she couldn't care less. However, if you do require a refrigerator, then she said you need a doctor's note.(I guess otherwise everyone would request a refrigerator). So anyway, I think if you just have pills in your luggage, it won't matter at all.

I have never had a problem traveling with prescriptions meds. They should be with you at all times, not packed in checked luggage. You can separate them if you need to once you reach your cabin. They should be in the original bottles if at all possible. I have seen some travel advisors suggest that you carry a written prescription for all your meds with you but haven't done that one myself.

I always recommend carrying your medication with you. Ask your pharmacist to give you little bottles with your Rx labels on them. I get at least 2 requests a week from travelers not wanting to take thier big bottles and this is a very easy option. I also see at least 1 patient a month who forgot to pack thier meds... so make sure you put them in a place you won't forget them...

Also the cruise lines don't care about meds unless it requires extra effort on thier part (Syringes or a refrig) It's the customs dept/DEA that will want to see the original bottles or copies of the rx if they are in a daily pack when you are coming back home.

Archived