Travel Insurance??? General Question...

Go Cards

I am taking my first cruise in March on the Costa Magica. Initially when asked by my travel agent about insurance, I declined. I recently had a friend that became very ill on their cruise and didn't have the insurance and incurred a lot of expenses to get home.

Does anyone have any experience with the Costa insurance? Do you usually opt for it? Anyone needed it?

I am a college student trying to go for as cheap as possible, but didn't know if it is "rolling the dice" in the cruise world to not purchase this??

We have gotten insurance through our travel agent and it was only $29pp. On our last cruise we didn't use it but the one before we did. My husband got the flu 2 days into the cruise and went to the ship doctor. We paid for that and the meds but were reimbersed after we go home. It's worth the peace of mind for me. It's worth at least checking into.

If you can find it cheap someplace, call or search around.

The biggest piece to me is the medical insurance part of it. I have my own through work, but the travel includes air lifting you back home.

I know a guy who's daughter jumped into the water, broke her neck, he gets a call needing $30,000 for the helicoptor to lift off to go and get her.

The insurance also offers other benefits that in the long run make it worth it.

Of course, 99.9% of the time you'll never need it, just like all insurance, but when you do, you are very thankful you have it!

I'd get it. Most plans cover so many things, and it's cheap enough to make it worth while. A while back there was a Legionnaire's outbreak on St. Maarten and lots of tourists got deathly ill. Those air ambulances costed a fortune and only a few had the insurance to cover it. I got ill on my first cruise in Belize. I was able to not incur an expenses, but had my situation been worse, I would have. From this point forward my personal belief is that any trip south of the border or to the Carribbean it is a required expense. Someday I will use it and will be glad I have it.

snip

You can usally get more coverage for a lot less if you go with another insurance company other than the cruise lines' insurance. Don't think I am allowed to mention names here so just do a search on the internet for travel insurance if you are not working with an agent that can make a recommendation for you.

Hi I'm from the Uk ad have just paid £3,300 for 2 weeks back to back. My wife has a pre-existing medical condition and it just cost us £1300 to insure her with a £3000 excess today.

My wife did conclude that if she had to be picked off the ship...hospitalised for any length of time...flown back to England...we would have to sell the house to pay the medical costs....so to remove worry and enjoy hols I paid up.

I don't really know costs of medical cover in US or Caribbean...but I guess as they recommend £2m cover it must be pretty expensive??

Interested if anyone could enlighten me ... 30 thousand dollars for heli call out is a start!

Archived