Covid Testing Question

Malibustacey79

Does anyone know what is the process if a passenger has had a recent (but not within the contagious period) Covid infection? I know as NHS staff we are encouraged not to carry out LFT testing for 90 days following a positive swab as they can continue to show a positive result, so what would happen if you were recovered but due to board two or three weeks after infection? 

They probably won't let you board without a test. Internationally, some places accept a letter from your doctor confirming you had Covid within 6 months (I think), so that might work, but I would contact MSC directly and get something in writing from them. 

• Thanks 1

I should hope if you were tested and gave a positive result, that you were not permitted aboard.   This isn’t like figuring out clever ways to get around having to pay taxes.  This is other people’s well being.   If your still positive whether you’ve diagnosed yourself as “recovered” or not you can still be a spreader, and 3 or 4 percent of people who are vaccinated can still become sick.   Stay home. 

Edited by MotownVoice
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MotownVoice said:

I should hope if you were tested and gave a positive result, that you were not permitted aboard.   This isn’t like figuring out clever ways to get around having to pay taxes.  This is other people’s well being.   If your still positive whether you’ve diagnosed yourself as “recovered” or not you can still be a spreader, and 3 or 4 percent of people who are vaccinated can still become sick.   Stay home. 

Just to confirm - this isn’t about me! I was vaccinated in December and have never been infected 🙂 I’m just wondering about worst case scenarios regarding my daughter as the rate among teenagers seems to be rocketing. 

It’s not about self diagnosis though, it’s NHS policy that LFTs aren’t reliable within 90 days of a positive PCR. 90 days is a long time!

• Like 2

We’re sailing with a teenager on 24th July & I feel your pain keeping fingers crossed they manage to stay clear in the meantime!

In your situation, how about a private PCR? More likely to give an accurate, quick result.

8 minutes ago, Chewbecca said:

We’re sailing with a teenager on 24th July & I feel your pain keeping fingers crossed they manage to stay clear in the meantime!

In your situation, how about a private PCR? More likely to give an accurate, quick result.

Yes this is it exactly - starting to feel like a race against time at this point 😞 I think if the worst happens and they did get it we’d need to find out if proof of past recent infection would help (as long it was outwith the ten days obviously). 

We had international doctors at work earlier in the year who wanted to fly home but were within the 90 days of infection and they had to provide proof of recent positive PCR for the airlines, but ultimately I suppose it would be up to MSC what they wanted to do/accept.  

At least school is nearly over, which seems to be the biggest risk. Good Luck to both of us and our teenagers!!

• Like 1