Excursions

sutuz

We will be cruising on the new Freedom of the Seas next February, and I would greatly appreciate any information you can share on the following excursions we're considering:

Grand Cayman - 2 Man Bubble Sub

My husband and I fall well under the weight and height maximums, but I'm still concerned that it may be too claustrophobic - thoughts?

Montego Bay - Dunns River is so far away from this port that it is a 2 hours drive each way - would have to be pretty spectacular to make that worthwhile - opinions?

Labadee - Castaway at Malfini Beach, allegedly "very limited" space available so the beach is supposed to not be crowded at all. How true is this?

Thanks in advance for any input! For those of you traveling on the Monarch of the Seas, there is a brand new excursion (we were only the 2nd group to visit when we sailed on 2/4), called the Bottoms Up tour in San Diego. LOTS of fun, I would highly recommend it. The bus guide is very knowledgable - almost too much so, she talked almost non-stop! The brewery itself was great and the guide there was hilarious. Also, the "light snack" advertised is actually much more like a lunch - very good.

My 2 cents:

- Bubble sub - We did this this last December and had a fantastic time. DW was getting a little clausterphobic when we were submerging, I told her to look down at the sea floor, and not above the surface, and she was fine. Once you fully submerge, the canopy virtualy disapears, so there is definately no closed in feeling then.

- Dun River Falls - If you haven't done it, it is definetly an experience to have. Had a great time the first time we were in Ocho Rios, may even do it again sometime on our own, with a Taxi driver. Is it worth the drive from MGB? That would be a personal call. Keep in mind you will loose the time both coming and going. I'd look at what else is offered and decide on their merits against the long drive to/from the falls.

- Labadee can get crowded with a Voyager class ship, and can only be worse with the Freedom. Unless doing parasailing, wave runners, or other excursion, personaly, I would rather stay aboard and let DW get a salon treatment, and hang out, ejoying a slightly empy ship.

My 2 cents:

- Bubble sub - We did this this last December and had a fantastic time. DW was getting a little clausterphobic when we were submerging, I told her to look down at the sea floor, and not above the surface, and she was fine. Once you fully submerge, the canopy virtualy disapears, so there is definately no closed in feeling then.

- Dun River Falls - If you haven't done it, it is definetly an experience to have. Had a great time the first time we were in Ocho Rios, may even do it again sometime on our own, with a Taxi driver. Is it worth the drive from MGB? That would be a personal call. Keep in mind you will loose the time both coming and going. I'd look at what else is offered and decide on their merits against the long drive to/from the falls.

- Labadee can get crowded with a Voyager class ship, and can only be worse with the Freedom. Unless doing parasailing, wave runners, or other excursion, personaly, I would rather stay aboard and let DW get a salon treatment, and hang out, ejoying a slightly empy ship.

Thank you! I think we'll risk the 2 man sub as it really sounds like fun, and save Dunn's River for a trip when we're a port closer by. Also appreciate the suggestion to use Labidee as a day to stay onboard - I am not a big fan of crowds on shore, so taking advantage of the ship emptying out sounds like a plan. :)

Archived