Examining the Bars on the Brilliance of the Seas

wrp96

So far the food is wonderful. I've only eaten in the dining room for dinner last night and lunch today. I was lucky enough to get to sleep in, for the first time in months.:D They have the Brasserie 30 menu in the dining room at lunch. Absolutely to die for bread pudding was the special today!

The ship is spotless. Clean and shiny. There is glass every where so you constantly can see the beautiful blue ocean. Plus there is soft colored wood, and subtly coloured carpet, and beautiful artwork, most of which seems to have a nautical/travel theme. I haven't seen anything worn out or out of place. Although there was a moment this morning when my toilet wouldn't flush, but Stewart fixed it very quickly.

Booked my Monarch cruise and my Jewel cruise this afternoon to get my onboard booking credits. Loyalty ambassador on this ship is wonderful - he actually has tons of hours where he is available, and shows up when he says he'll be there.

I'm heading to the wine tasting soon. Not going to pass up the opportunity for free alcohol - and yes I am sober, for the moment! No PODing this early in the day. I'll save that for later.

Oh, and for those of you in cold, wintery places. It is 80 degrees, the sun is shiny, with very calm seas (or at the very least this ship handles the waves beautifully). So to all of you back home dealing with winter and your daily grind I say, nany nany boo boo!:p :p :p

Oh, and for those of you in cold, wintery places. It is 80 degrees, the sun is shiny, with very calm seas (or at the very least this ship handles the waves beautifully). So to all of you back home dealing with winter and your daily grind I say, nany nany boo boo!:p :p :p

Oh, she's getting sassy!!!!:D ;) Ah, the relief of finishing a couple of those "bars!"

I just happened on this thread while looking around and have to admit I am soooo jealous! But also it's great to hear about the Brilliance as DH and I will be on her for next fall's transatlantic.

Anxiously awaiting the next post from the sea--which reminds me where is this cruise going?

Congratulations on completing the bar exam and hope for nothing but excellent results. Glad to hear you are happy with the ship. It is one of our favorites,as are the rest of the Radiance class. Enjoy a wonderful time onboard. You deserve a wonderful break after all the studying for the exam.

Wrona - congrats on writing the bar - did you do well, what's your gut feeling??? DH retired from law last year after 22 years, and is mediating part-time. Easier pace and loves it.

We're following you closely as we're doing your cruise March 17 and can't wait. We did the Brilliance a few years ago and loved it, so we're back....!

Cyber cabin - DD and DS are bringing along a laptop for games, internet, etc. I can use a computer, but that's about it. What is the cost of a cyber cabin for 10 days - is it worth it? Do I need any special cables, etc. to do it?

Who's the CD? Which nights are the formal nights?

Enjoy, look forward to your next post.

CANUCKS4

Wrona, I've always enjoyed reading your posts but now I'm hanging on to every word as we are going to be on BOS in 51 days!! Keep the information coming we are all living vicariously through you right now. And congrats on geting through the bar- you deserve this trip!

Where are we going? Aruba, Panama Canal, Costa Rica, and Grand Cayman.

Cyber Cabin? cost $120 dollars for unlimited access in your stateroom. They provide the cable. All you need is a modem. There are wireless hotspots on this ship where you can use a laptop. Internet access other than Cybercabin starts at $.50 per minute but you can buy packages.

This ship handles the seas beautifully. The wind was very high today but the ship was completely smooth, only started to feel it at dinner. Handles the seas better than the Voyager class (which handle the seas beautifully IMO). Caught a few people complaining about the wind, but it is warm and sunny so I was in heaven!

After the wine tasting (free to C&A members), I spent the afternoon reading something that wasn't required for a class:D . First on the very back of the ship in the open air part of the windjammer then on the promenade deck. Then back to stateroom to prep for Formal Night.

Headed to Schooner Bar for martini tasting before dinner, ran into the couple who were by themselves across the way the previous night. We went into the Colony Club (deck 6 club at the very back of the ship) for Captain's reception. Free alcohol, and lovely to watch all the couples (young and old) dance together. You could tell they knew each other well. About 60% of the ship is in tuxes, the other 40% in suits, although early seating is starting to change back into formal wear. Tonight is the first formal night. Tomorrow is smart casual.

Captain was very funny! Thom Wildung? I am POD so I may not be correct. Tonight was shrimp cocktail, escargot, and filet of beef night. We combined tables as once again my tablemates did not show up. Rather than complain I adapted and had a great time!

Debated seeing the Temptations tribute, but decided to head to bar instead. Did not make it past the Schooner Bar, where Eric the bartender reigns. Very funny! Sings with all the songs played/sung by the man whjo looks like Yanni (Ed's description, not mine, although it fits). Met Ed's sister this time (fellow bar examinee), and stayed too late!

Notice to all women! Take off high heels after formal night, especially if you plan to drink. I fell down the stairs due to high heels and drinking = bad combination. I'm okay but I have a little bit of rugburn. I can tell I will be miserable in the morning. My own fault really! I think I better cut back on examining the bar.

One more thing. It's a really long walk from deck 3 to deck 11. I understand now why the elevators are so full. I just practice patience, and stair climb whenever I can in order to free it up for someone else. The stairs are far apart, but at least they don't close very quickly like the ones at my law school.

ALPHA, ALPHA, ALPHA!

We've now heard that twice on this ship (not including my little mishap). Just as the horseracing was starting this afternoon, one of the jockeys had a seizure. People were very quick to help her and the staff acted very professionally.

As I suspected today, I am wearing signs of my little tumble down the stairs. One of the knuckles on my right hand is purple surrounded by red and slightly swolled, while my left knee is splotchy red from abrasions and bruises. Oh well. Nothing's broken. Just more proof that I really do need to live in a padded bubble.

Today was our 2nd sea day. When I went to the main pool this afternoon I saw lots of towels and books suntanning. I guess they needed it, they were looking a little pale! I thought about playing games with people's minds by switching stuff between chairs but I decided not to have fun. I'll save that for another sea day. There were chairs available though, just none together for the people wanting to take their naps side by side. I went up to the area above the pool deck and read. The chairs up there were all tied down due to the wind. But it gave me prime viewing for the Men's Sexy Legs Competition.

Wrona - I believe that this will be one of Captain Wildung's last cruises as he is due to retire shortly. We sailed with him a few years back on Brilliance of the Seas and found him to be very personable. Please extend our best wishes to him for a pleasant retirement.:)

Went easy on examining the bars this evening. Have to be up early to snorkel.

Hadn't met my headwaiter before this evening, but he filled in tonight for our missing assistant waitress who apparently got sick sometime between first and 2nd seating.:eek: Headwaiter has definitely earned his tip this week.

Coated in aloe now due to a deficiency in my application of sunblock (forgot to reapply it after getting in the hot tub and then the pool). The apply to the walls of the shower and then turn around method works. Speaking of the shower, yes it has the clinging curtain, but the water's going to get out of the shower anyways so I just leave it open and it doesn't get me. I tried to use it the 1st morning and still managed to get water everywhere.

The bed in my room is fine. It isn't sagging, I can't feel the springs, and I'm even able to comfortably lay in the center without feeling that hump in the middle.

Already been up off the ship, snorkeled and rum punched and now getting ready to go back out again. Aruba is beautiful. The water is so many different shades of blue and green. The wind makes the water a little rough though (which I loved). Heading back out again in search of food and shopping. All the shops are closing at 2pm today because it is Aruba's Carnaval. I'm still debating whether to watch thue parade or take a nap. Maybe do both. We'll see. Kukoo Kunuku Pub Crawl is tonight. Somebody want to call me on my cell phone and remind me to go back to the ship.

The bed in my room is fine. It isn't sagging, I can't feel the springs, and I'm even able to comfortably lay in the center without feeling that hump in the middle.

Already been up off the ship, snorkeled and rum punched and now getting ready to go back out again. Aruba is beautiful. The water is so many different shades of blue and green. The wind makes the water a little rough though (which I loved). Heading back out again in search of food and shopping. All the shops are closing at 2pm today because it is Aruba's Carnaval. I'm still debating whether to watch thue parade or take a nap. Maybe do both. We'll see. Kukoo Kunuku Pub Crawl is tonight. Somebody want to call me on my cell phone and remind me to go back to the ship.

Oh. do watch the parade. I was in port at St. Barts one year during Carnivale, and the parade was great fun.

Ahh! Aruba! I have now found my favorite excursion of all time, the Kukoo Kunuku! My God this was fun!

It started with a wardrobe malfunction on my part (thank you gentleman for all the kind offers of "help"), in the middle had me dancing on top of a bar (although the guys were even cuter - and lost more clothing than I did in the wardrobe malfunction - and my low cut spaghetti strap shirt ended up being a strapless shirt that stayed up only because mother nature decided to bless me in that department), and ended at Carlos and Charlie's! And then we headed to the party by the pool!

Playing mini-golf while drunk can be challenging! If you don't keep score though it can become a very fun and interesting game!

Tomorrow is a sea day. I hope to be sober by dinner time!

Oh, the yacht! Next to the ship in Aruba, was a private yacht, the kind you see on Great Yachts on the Travel Channel. It has a pool on the back of the ship plus a helicopter - and I do mean helicopter, not just a helicopter pad. It was labeled Ice out of Georgetown. Everybody in town kneq whose it was but wouldn't say so rumors started. One person said it was Donald Trump's. A group of us decided it was either a diamond dealer or a drug dealer. Either way it was a gorgeous yacht.

Thanks for all the great posts, wrp96.

We're taking the same cruise in April, and I appreciate the info.

Saw a yacht matching your description when we visited Martinique a year ago. We were told it was owned by Roman Abramovich, who is owner of Chelsea F.C. and Britain's richest man.

IMG010.jpg

Perhaps it is the same one you saw?

"Oh, and for those of you in cold, wintery places. It is 80 degrees, the sun is shiny, with very calm seas (or at the very least this ship handles the waves beautifully). So to all of you back home dealing with winter and your daily grind I say, nany nany boo boo!:p :p :p"

Now that's just EVIL! :D

Karma baby, it's a funny thing.

Did you notice that once you had posted that you:

1. Fell down the stairs
  2. Got sunburned
  3. Hurt you knee whilst on the pub crawl.
  4. etc.

The good Karma is that it's warming up in the cold states and it might very well be from all of the updates you are posting from the warm Caribbean.

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

I hurt my knee when I fell down the stairs. Actually the dancing and drinking at the pub crawl helped it feel better.

I've eaten in the dining room, the windjammer, by the pool, and at the Seaview Cafe. Everything has been very good to excellent. But I have to say, the menu at the Seaview was very limited especially for me. I don't eat milk products and everything on the menu had cheese and they couldn't leave it off most of the items.

The seas were choppy the first day out (not as rough though as my 1st sea day on my Rhapsody cruise), not as bad the 2nd, and are absolutely smooth today.

Archived