Decided on AI instead of cruise...

Well, after much thought and consideration (and price comparison) we have decided to spend 8 days in Cancun at the Moon Palace Resort. It seems like the cruise prices have made a significant increase for this spring! After the decline in service on the last two cruises and the price increase, we decided to give the AI a try! I am looking forward to a week of not having to worry about catching tenders and getting up at the crack of dawn to get a good seat at the pool! However, we are planning on booking a cruise next!

You will love the Moon Palace! I have not stayed tehre but have stayed at a Palace Resort..(sister property) in Cancun. Remember they have 'stay at 1, play at all'. When I was there they had a hshuttle between the Palace Properties. That way you can mix the dining options up a bit. Have fun!!:p

I heard that! I beleive that a lot of their properties are still closed due to the damage from Hurricane Wilma. I am excited about all of the free/unlimited tours that are included! And the double jacuzzi in our ocean view room! I couldn't have touched a suite on a cruise for what we are paying for the AI. Wait - I couldn't even touch a balcony for what we got this for!

If your vacation is in the near future for your AI to Cancun, go to WWW.KSTP.COM and go to More news, and then the investigations part The investigations part of the website and look up the story about cancun.

THIS IS YOUR HOTEL YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE AT! I HAVE THE LINK HERE, AND ALSO THE STORY!! (Video on the top of the link page)

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S14016.html?cat=5

More than three months after Hurricane Wilma devastated Cancun, many tourists are traveling to the Mayan Riviera instead. But as 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS discovered when we followed five Minnesotans, paradise is difficult to find there, as well.

"Oh my goodness, I couldn't be more disappointed,” said Ann Burbridge, whose traveling companions included Julie Ledy and Mary Everett.

The three were originally scheduled to stay at the Moon Palace in Cancun, but were turned away upon arrival.

"I still was just shocked that they were telling us that we couldn't stay there,” said Ledy. “They weren’t honest,” agreed Burbridge.

Travel experts are not surprised. “You cannot trust the hotels at this point in time,” says Terry Trippler. “It's buyer beware, know what you are getting into know what you're to find down there, know what you're not going to find down there.”

The Mexican Consul says neither the Mayan Riviera nor Cancun are experiencing any major closures. “Cancun is running, as you know,” says Nathan Wolf. “Close to Cancun is the Mayan Riviera, which didn't have any troubles during the hurricane, so it's fully open and fully serviceable."

Another set of Minnesotan travelers seems to agree with that assessment. Brian and Cheryl Winters said their vacation in the Riviera was enjoyable.

“It’s beautiful, beautiful, wonderful,” says Cheryl Winters.

"I haven't really seen damage at all,” says Brian Winters.

The Winters stayed at the El Dorado Royale, an all-inclusive resort that rebuilt its beaches, grounds and rooms quickly.

But while some resorts may be open, they could be functioning at an extremely limited capacity.

Experts say until the Cancun region is fully recovered – which could take two years – travelers shouldn’t rely on online travel sites and information direct from hotels.

“Right now I say the travel agent is your best source of what is going on in Cancun,” says Trippler.

What is AI??

AI is all-inclusive resort. For the OP we stayed at the Moon Palace in '99....very nice resort. It's a BIG place :) You can choose from a host of excursions, if you decide to do any. If the time share pushers are still there, just say no firmly (unless of course you are interested in lookig at them), they will try anything and everything to get you to one of their "presentations" . The beach is nothing to speak of but the pool area(s) are fantastic. Have a great time..

If your vacation is in the near future for your AI to Cancun, go to WWW.KSTP.COM and go to More news, and then the investigations part The investigations part of the website and look up the story about cancun.

THIS IS YOUR HOTEL YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE AT! I HAVE THE LINK HERE, AND ALSO THE STORY!! (Video on the top of the link page)

http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S14016.html?cat=5

More than three months after Hurricane Wilma devastated Cancun, many tourists are traveling to the Mayan Riviera instead. But as 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS discovered when we followed five Minnesotans, paradise is difficult to find there, as well.

"Oh my goodness, I couldn't be more disappointed,” said Ann Burbridge, whose traveling companions included Julie Ledy and Mary Everett.

The three were originally scheduled to stay at the Moon Palace in Cancun, but were turned away upon arrival.

"I still was just shocked that they were telling us that we couldn't stay there,” said Ledy. “They weren’t honest,” agreed Burbridge.

Travel experts are not surprised. “You cannot trust the hotels at this point in time,” says Terry Trippler. “It's buyer beware, know what you are getting into know what you're to find down there, know what you're not going to find down there.”

The Mexican Consul says neither the Mayan Riviera nor Cancun are experiencing any major closures. “Cancun is running, as you know,” says Nathan Wolf. “Close to Cancun is the Mayan Riviera, which didn't have any troubles during the hurricane, so it's fully open and fully serviceable."

Another set of Minnesotan travelers seems to agree with that assessment. Brian and Cheryl Winters said their vacation in the Riviera was enjoyable.

“It’s beautiful, beautiful, wonderful,” says Cheryl Winters.

"I haven't really seen damage at all,” says Brian Winters.

The Winters stayed at the El Dorado Royale, an all-inclusive resort that rebuilt its beaches, grounds and rooms quickly.

But while some resorts may be open, they could be functioning at an extremely limited capacity.

Experts say until the Cancun region is fully recovered – which could take two years – travelers shouldn’t rely on online travel sites and information direct from hotels.

“Right now I say the travel agent is your best source of what is going on in Cancun,” says Trippler.

Interesting. I booked this through a travel agent, I think I'll send her this link to check out.

I think the Moon Palace is OK, it isn't anywhere near the strip. It is about 10-15 minutes south of the airport in what is called the Mayan Riviera, albeit the northern edge. For the OP, go to tripadvisor.com, there will be reviews from recent travellers.

Well, I wouldn't say it was that great of a price!!!!! It was $2700 for 7 days. I couldn't touch the cruise we wanted with the room we wanted for that price, but this was still plenty expensive. One of the highest quotes I received for all over the Mexico area! We could have gone as little as $1200 for AI, but we wanted the top of the line...and that's how we came to decide on Moon Palace. I sent an email to my TA. Many other palace properties are currently closed according to their website.

Well, I wouldn't say it was that great of a price!!!!! It was $2700 for 7 days. I couldn't touch the cruise we wanted with the room we wanted for that price, but this was still plenty expensive. One of the highest quotes I received for all over the Mexico area! We could have gone as little as $1200 for AI, but we wanted the top of the line...and that's how we came to decide on Moon Palace. I sent an email to my TA. Many other palace properties are currently closed according to their website.

Enjoy. You'll have a great time and lots of space, privacy and fun

My husband and I stayed at the Moon Palace about 5 years ago and we absolutely loved it!!! The pools are really amazing! That was probably our favourite AI. It was the very next year that we tried cruising however and (other than Vegas trips) we haven't gone back to the land based vacations since - we are addicted!!!

. I am excited about all of the free/unlimited tours that are included! And the double jacuzzi in our ocean view room!!

Right..and the unlimited drinks!! I drank champaigne(well, sparkling wine) all week long. Hey, careful of the jacuzzi:eek: ..don't turn the jets on before its full...I baptized my whole room when I did this:p

Just putting in my two cents, there may be better options right now for the Mayan Riviera $2700 actually sounds expensive for one week. Just for fun have your travel agent check prices for Riu Palace or Iberostar Tucan in Playacar. It could be less and a much better beach in my opinion. I know this area very well. If you do go to Moon Palace, you will enjoy I'm sure - the pool is great the beach is not so great. Even better yet, price out the Secrets resorts - Secrets Excellence or Secrets Capri!

"don't turn the jets on before its full...I baptized my whole room when I did this:p" Too funny, we have done the same!!:eek:

We are also doing an AI for our March Break (Cayo Coco, Cuba) this year but not giving up cruising by any means. Have a wonderful cruise booked on the Adventure of the Seas for March 2007. I have done both before and had an awesome time. I find you can't compare the two because they are totally different experiences. They offer different perks and I think its great just to be able to vacation and try different things!

I've stayed at Moon Palace also and liked it. It's a very large resort as I'm sure you've looked into. The sunrise side is newer and a little better than the Nizuc side. Although you can very easily take a bus to the other side to hang out. We where in the golf villas for a couple of days, very nice new room just away from everthing. So unless you want to be out by the golf course make sure not in a golf villa, if you find out you are when you arrive asked to be moved or put on the list. Also as someone else recommeded check out trip advisor, for the most recent info on the resort. There have been several since moon reopended at the first of the year.

Archived