If we don't do evening dining room...

All tips received from any of the dining venues are pooled and divided equally amongst all of the dining staff. It doesn't matter if you tip your waiter in the main dining room or the busser in the Windjammer; they all go to the same place.

I thought my husband and I were the only ones...I guess there's a lot of people who don't like to eat in the dining room. We just booked our very first RC cruise on the sovereign and we discussed the dining situation thoroughly before booking...we're just not going to go.

we don't like to talk to strangers, I guess our parents raised us well.;)

actually the fact is that we're just uncomfortable eating in front of people we don't know.. it took my husband four years before he'd eat in front of my family, and neither he nor I are big talkers.

we've opted to eat at the buffet, room service or johnny rockets. unless, and I'm not sure if anyone knows this, but does royal caribbean do tables for two? we took a cruise on another line for our honeymoon and didn't want to share a table with 8 other people, so we requested a table for two and they were happy to accomodate us... does royal do things like this? just curious...

I think you are missing out on a lot of the fun on a cruise. We have met such interesting people and made life long friends with some of our table mates. I think the not talking to strangers rule we learned from our parents really only applies to children. Maybe you should try sharing, you might like it.Of course this is just my opinion.

We haven't used the dining room in years.

We just prefer being able to dine when we want on our own schedule.

When we board we always go to the dining room and tell them we will not be using our seats so they are free to use them to honor requests of other cruisers.

The tip box in Windjammer - we used it on the Radiance and Explorer but it was not on our last cruise on the Legend. So we just gave a tip to the person in Windjammer on our last night. Since we generally sat in the same area we noticed we saw the same person every night.

We do not tip the dining room staff, because we do not use the dining room.

All tips received from any of the dining venues are pooled and divided equally amongst all of the dining staff. It doesn't matter if you tip your waiter in the main dining room or the busser in the Windjammer; they all go to the same place.

Is this true only for tips placed on the Seapass? I know my waiters have told me that their tips belong to them and they are not pooled.

I don't know how it works for the auto tip in the bars.

I have also asked them how they would prefer to get the money in cash or added on the Seapass. Most have said it made no difference; except for one waiter who said he had to wait a week for the tips on the Seapass to be credited to him.

I don't know if they said it didn't matter because it didn't matter or if they were just trying to be accomodating.

DH and I usually do tip in cash.

Calm seas,

Caroline

I think you are missing out on a lot of the fun on a cruise. We have met such interesting people and made life long friends with some of our table mates. I think the not talking to strangers rule we learned from our parents really only applies to children. Maybe you should try sharing, you might like it.Of course this is just my opinion.

What's fun to you may not be fun to me. I think that the "strangers" comment was meant to be a silly quip, not taken literally. My DH and I are quiet, laid back people who would prefer to dine privately as opposed to dining with someone we don't know. Apparently there's a lot of people that feel the same way that I do, or this thread wouldn't be two pages long already. :D

Archived