If we don't do evening dining room...

Have been following the thread on those who choose the Windjammer as their primary dining option, cancelling their evening dining-room seating on boarding. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=299836 It sounds as if this would be the best option for my family (next August, Alaska, Serenade with an 8-year old and a husband who loathes both dressing up and spending a long time at a restaurant). So a few questions about the nuts and bolts...

1. Would we still be able to try out the dining room for a breakfast or lunch, if we wanted?

2. Would prefer to tip the Windjammer staff and room service, as that's where we'll be eating, but could be persuaded to leave standard tips on our account for the dining room staff if we really will be depriving the staff there of opportunity for earning their tips. What do you think?

3. I booked through RCCL website, and there doesn't seem to be any way to book "no dining room" there. We're currently booked for main seating, and the late seating is listed as not available, so I'm assuming we're not taking up spaces someone else is waiting for. But should I try to call and cancel the dining reservation? Or should I ask for a smaller table, assuming if I get it and then cancel on board, it will make someone's day when they are able to change to our table? Or should I ask for a very large table, assuming it won't matter so much if the 3 of us cancel at a table for 10?

:confused: Or am I overthinking?

Looking forward to hearing ideas. I should mention this will be our first cruise and one reason I want to keep the family happy is that I'd like it to be the first of many!

Have been following the thread on those who choose the Windjammer as their primary dining option, cancelling their evening dining-room seating on boarding. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=299836 It sounds as if this would be the best option for my family (next August, Alaska, Serenade with an 8-year old and a husband who loathes both dressing up and spending a long time at a restaurant). So a few questions about the nuts and bolts...

1. Would we still be able to try out the dining room for a breakfast or lunch, if we wanted?

2. Would prefer to tip the Windjammer staff and room service, as that's where we'll be eating, but could be persuaded to leave standard tips on our account for the dining room staff if we really will be depriving the staff there of opportunity for earning their tips. What do you think?

3. I booked through RCCL website, and there doesn't seem to be any way to book "no dining room" there. We're currently booked for main seating, and the late seating is listed as not available, so I'm assuming we're not taking up spaces someone else is waiting for. But should I try to call and cancel the dining reservation? Or should I ask for a smaller table, assuming if I get it and then cancel on board, it will make someone's day when they are able to change to our table? Or should I ask for a very large table, assuming it won't matter so much if the 3 of us cancel at a table for 10?

:confused: Or am I overthinking?

Looking forward to hearing ideas. I should mention this will be our first cruise and one reason I want to keep the family happy is that I'd like it to be the first of many!

1. Of course you can still go to the dinning room for breakfast and lunch. As these are not specified times, i.e. a 1st and 2nd seating for breakfast & lunch, you go to the dinning room and they seat you at a table (usually with other passengers but you could ask for your own table) and you order.

2. I believe (someone correct me if I am wrong) that the dining staff works in both areas. By tipping in the main dinning room, your tips will be distributed accordingly and should be fair. At the windjammer, there are only people that bus your tables and bring you drinks. The rest is a buffet so you do not have someone "serving" you. It would be difficult to tip in the Windjammer.

3. I would suggest to leave your dining option as is. When you arrive, let the host know that you will not be dinning in the main dinning room and if you do decide to, you will call and let him know. That way they no to "not" expect you.

The windjammer has a "tip appreciated" box when exiting the door. Since we don't eat ANY meals in the dr. so we do not tip the dr. We tip the people in the windjammer, especially the cook making made to order steak and chicken.

You may want to try out the dr the first night since it's very casual. If it suits you, skip formal nights and go to the windjammer. Most nights are casual in the dr but no shorts or tank tops. If that is your choice of dress, thats ok too. Just opt for the windjammer.

Tip accordingly if you do use the dr.

Wow, in 2 cruises on the Mariner I never saw such a box! I will keep my eyes open wider on the Navigator as I love the idea of tipping the WJ staff.

I HATE eating in the dining room. I think we manage about 2 dinners there each trip and I'm miserable the entire time! I hate making small talk, and waiting for everyone to finish their food, not to mention, I HATE dressing up on vacation!

Wow, in 2 cruises on the Mariner I never saw such a box! I will keep my eyes open wider on the Navigator as I love the idea of tipping the WJ staff.

Let me know if you see such a box, we just got off the Navigator and never saw a box for tips on that cruise or any of our previous cruises.

For the OP: Yes I think you are over thinking this :)

I would just tip the dining room waiters (you can use automatic tipping) and eat when and where you want. If you really don't want to use the dining room for dinner at all, let the maitre D know when they have "open hours" to make changes the first day.

If you plan on keeping your table for casual nights, just let your waiter know that you will be on time for dinner each night, and if you aren't tell them to assume you won't be there. That way your table mates will not be delayed in ordering.

You could also request a table for three once you get on the ship. That way you have the option of really doing whatever you want for dinner. If it is just the three of you and you want to "eat and run" just tell your waiter ahead of time that you really want to eat fast. They will do their best to get you fed and out of there as quick as possible. When we cruised with two of our kids, we had a table for four. They had us fed and out of there as most tables were finishing up their main course. Then the kids went to AO and we had the rest of the night to be romantic ;)

There is no way that I know of to let the cruise line know before sailing that you don't want a seating time for dinner at all.

We skipped the dining room for dinner on our last cruise. Room service was a great alternative to the dining room. Windjammer is good, but it gets boring after the third night. They also have the kids menu available from room service.

Guest cruzr44

The Radiance had a tip box in the Windjammer and we used it. Also sat in the same area in the Windjammer at breakfast and tipped our waiter there with cash. If the Navigator doesn't have a tip box I will just hand our waiter cash.

As someone who enjoys the main dining room, I would suggest you ask for a table for 3 so that you can go if you choose to. There is nothing worse than looking forward to meeting your tablemate and having them never show up. I love dining with the same people each evening, which is why we choose RCCL and not NCL or Princess. We always request a large table and like I said, it would really be a disappointment to not have people show up.

As someone who enjoys the main dining room, I would suggest you ask for a table for 3 so that you can go if you choose to. There is nothing worse than looking forward to meeting your tablemate and having them never show up. I love dining with the same people each evening, which is why we choose RCCL and not NCL or Princess. We always request a large table and like I said, it would really be a disappointment to not have people show up.

Yes, that's why I'd rather not sign up for a table at all, but it looks as if RCCL doesn't let us do that. Are there actually tables for 3? It seemed to me as if my only options were even-numbered tables... you know, 2, 4, 6 etc. That's one of the problems with 3 of us. Guess I should just have another kid. :D

Everybody, thanks for the ideas... especially for telling me to just chill out and not overplan! Will maybe try out the dining room the first night and suss it out, keeping options open. That's a good idea about telling them if we're not there on time, don't wait. Still, it seems kind of rude to the other people at the table... like saying "you're just not fascinating or special enough for us to make an effort." Anyway, we will feel better about leaving the tip on our account for the dining room staff if we at least meet them.

I HATE eating in the dining room. I think we manage about 2 dinners there each trip and I'm miserable the entire time! I hate making small talk, and waiting for everyone to finish their food, not to mention, I HATE dressing up on vacation!

I'm with you on that one! I can only tolerate the dining room a couple of times on each cruise. There has only been one cruise where we thoroughly enjoyed our tablemates. The rest were spent trying to make small talk with people we had nothing in common with. We opted for the Windjammer/Island Grill or Portofino's. We liked Portofino's so much, we dined there twice. It was well worth the money. Plus, it's a very small dining room, the table was for 2, and we had a waiter who was magnificent. You do tend to get sick of the buffet really fast, but when you've just spent hours on excursions, the last thing you want to do is get dressed up just to eat.

I also have never seen a tip box in the Windjammer/Island Grill on any of the cruises I've taken. I'm wondering if it's only on certain ships at this point? We only tipped the dining room staff for the nights we ate there, and then we found the guys in the buffet that waited on us & handed them their tips. I can't recall how you tip in Portofino though?

Wow, I've just had a brainwave! Cruise lines should make seating assignments by SPEED DATING on the first night... after 3 minutes of chat, everybody gets up and races with their group to another table! You could fill out those little cards on the other groups you meet, and at the end of the dinner, they try to match you up with those you clicked with! If nobody likes you, you sit with the other rejected ones, or (gasp) they vote you OUT of the dining room and you have to eat room service all week! :cool:

It would be a table for four, but set for three. It shouldn't be a problem if they have a four top available.

If you do end up at a table with others, I would just be upfront and tell them you just plan on really relaxing this vacation, and it isn't personal if you aren't there.

Our experience traveling with our kids is that they will seat you with another family anyways. The one time we requested a large table, we felt like we couldn't hold a conversation with the other adults and take care of the kids at the same time. By the second night the converation was non existant. Most nights we were all there, but I can't even remember our tablemates names.... Now when we cruise with the kids, we always request our own table. Works out great :)

Tipping in Portifinos is included. If you choose to give more there is a spot on the receipt to add extra.

Wow, I've just had a brainwave! Cruise lines should make seating assignments by SPEED DATING on the first night... after 3 minutes of chat, everybody gets up and races with their group to another table! You could fill out those little cards on the other groups you meet, and at the end of the dinner, they try to match you up with those you clicked with! If nobody likes you, you sit with the other rejected ones, or (gasp) they vote you OUT of the dining room and you have to eat room service all week! :cool:

ROFLMAO :D:D

The waiters come by with rolls and you switch partners. As you move to your new table, a tray of H'orsedouves (sorry can't ever spell that!) is passed in front of your face. Salad is tossed in the air and you slip your bowl under it as you move to the next table. Gosh, I might like this eating option. I would just cry if I was voted off my table though!!! :)

One note about Windjammer tipping. A good portion of the people working breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer are actually your assistant waiters from the main dining room at night. Thus when you tip your dining staff you are also tipping some of the Windjammer staff. I don't know if these tips get pooled for all the staff or it is per person.

We ate all our dinners at the Windjammer on the Enchantment last fall. I did inform the dining room staff the first night, and I also requested a table just large enough for our family when we first booked, in order to minimize the impact on others.

Here's how we handled tipping: We left a cash tip on our table every evening after dinner, and on the last evening we gave an envelope of cash to the Windjammer manager so that she could distribute it to the staff. We also gave a tip to the "pasta lady". We believe in tipping generously, and also like to express our gratitude to those who served us directly during the cruise.

I thought my husband and I were the only ones...I guess there's a lot of people who don't like to eat in the dining room. We just booked our very first RC cruise on the sovereign and we discussed the dining situation thoroughly before booking...we're just not going to go.

we don't like to talk to strangers, I guess our parents raised us well.;)

actually the fact is that we're just uncomfortable eating in front of people we don't know.. it took my husband four years before he'd eat in front of my family, and neither he nor I are big talkers.

we've opted to eat at the buffet, room service or johnny rockets. unless, and I'm not sure if anyone knows this, but does royal caribbean do tables for two? we took a cruise on another line for our honeymoon and didn't want to share a table with 8 other people, so we requested a table for two and they were happy to accomodate us... does royal do things like this? just curious...

I thought my husband and I were the only ones...I guess there's a lot of people who don't like to eat in the dining room. We just booked our very first RC cruise on the sovereign and we discussed the dining situation thoroughly before booking...we're just not going to go.

we don't like to talk to strangers, I guess our parents raised us well.;)

actually the fact is that we're just uncomfortable eating in front of people we don't know.. it took my husband four years before he'd eat in front of my family, and neither he nor I are big talkers.

we've opted to eat at the buffet, room service or johnny rockets. unless, and I'm not sure if anyone knows this, but does royal caribbean do tables for two? we took a cruise on another line for our honeymoon and didn't want to share a table with 8 other people, so we requested a table for two and they were happy to accomodate us... does royal do things like this? just curious...

Yes, Royal Caribbean has tables for two but there are limited amounts. If you want one, have your TA put in a request for one now. Then when you get to the ship, go to the dining room as soon as you embark and check out where you are seated. If it isn't a table for two, go see the maitre'd and see if he can move you to a table for two. Be polite in your request, but remember he may not be able to accommodate you. If he can't, then be polite enough to explain to him that you won't be eating dinner in the dining room.

Thanks for the tip..

I was going to book a cruise a couple of years ago and asked a reservation agent (RCI) if they did tables for two, she told me no, basically...so I guess I just had it in my head that it was not an option. I'll put in a request with my TA and see where it goes from there. Thanks!

Thanks for the tip..

I was going to book a cruise a couple of years ago and asked a reservation agent (RCI) if they did tables for two, she told me no, basically...so I guess I just had it in my head that it was not an option. I'll put in a request with my TA and see where it goes from there. Thanks!

Just remember, it is a request only. They won't guarantee what seating you have or what size table you have until you get to the ship. But if you don't ask for it, you have little chance of getting it.

I've read a few threads about having dinner in the Windjammer and I must admit, I am tempted. We've never done it but most of the posts about it are positive and say it is a much nicer experience than perhaps most who haven't done it would think.

Breakfast and lunch in the dining room is a nice change and presents an opportunity to wear shorts in the dining room:D

Regarding the tip question for the waitstaff, I was always under the impression you submit at least the requested amount regardless of where you eat....My questions are: Is this correct? and, Who do you give the envelopes to, assuming you never get to the dining room for dinner?

We loved the windjammer on the radiance for dinner. I can remember ceasar salads made to order, and pasta made to order. On our first cruise, we were on carnival and we ate at the buffet for dinner one night. It was terrible. So we were pleasantly surprised by the quality on RCL. The dining room is OK but it really doesn't meet our time schedule being 6 is too early and 8 is too late. On our next cruise we will go to Chops/Portifino's when we have time to dress up and the buffet when we don't. All can be done on our schedule.

skyw

Archived