Checkin and Covid Testing in Rome (Civitavecchia)

nyc2pdx

I just got off the EPIC transatlantic from Rome to New York.  Great cruise.  Felt wonderful to be back onboard again.

Before my cruise, there were a lot of questions about check in and testing, so I thought I would share my experience in Rome.

When we arrived at the terminal in Civitavecchia, we entered through a north entrance to the cruise terminal, ground floor.  They took our luggage first.  They had a series of barriers up, first checking to see if you had a QR code from the testing set up (you got this during the checkin process at day 20 check in) or not.  If you had the code, they directed you to a stall where they scanned your QR code, and did a swab of your brain...honestly, everyone commented how far they went up.  Then they handed you a card with a string of letters on them.  They told you to go to the next room, and watch the screens for your 4 letter code (the last 4 letters of the string).  You sat down, watched the screen for about 15-20 mins.  

When your 4 digits came up, you raised your hand.  The attendant would come over, verify the code, and put a red bracelet on your wrist.  Then you were directed to go to security. We then went upstairs to the check in area.  After testing, I was on the ship within 20 mins.

Overall, it was an extremely efficient operation.  Onboard, we wore masks per the EU requirements, which meant while you were walking around and in any crowded spaces.  Once you sat down to eat, no masks.  Once we left the EU, most people removed their masks.

I was told that on our crossing we had 2001 passengers on the Epic.  We had no COVID cases onboard.  So, we were in a pretty safe place.

Now I can't wait for my next cruise!

• Like 1